cannot continue edit while debug in VS2005

Ryan Liu

I have this problem: "cannot continue edit while debug in VS2005".

I see the same tread after I search this topic in google, but none solutions
works for me. So again, I ask here. Can someone give a hand?

Has MS fixed this in VS 2005? Is is fixed in VS 2008?

Thanks,

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Ryan Liu
Shanghai Fengpu Software Co. Ltd
Shanghai , China

http://www.PowerCATI.com Powerful CATI!
http://www.fpsoft.net.cn
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Frans Bouma [C# MVP]

Ryan said:
I have this problem: "cannot continue edit while debug in VS2005".

I see the same tread after I search this topic in google, but none
solutions works for me. So again, I ask here. Can someone give a hand?

Has MS fixed this in VS 2005? Is is fixed in VS 2008?

Have you ENABLED edit&continue in the properties of vs.net? If not, do
so. However, in general it's not wise to edit while in debug mode ->
quit debugging, think why you want to make a change to the code, make
the change and then restart debugging IF necessary.

FB

Lead developer of LLBLGen Pro, the productive O/R mapper for .NET
LLBLGen Pro website: http://www.llblgen.com
My .NET blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/fbouma
Microsoft MVP (C#)

christery

I have this  problem: "cannot continue edit while debug in VS2005".

void recursive{ Stop, think what else might be wrong... check
documentation leading up to this error, edit, think again, consult
coworkers, change documentation with comments, change head of program
to reflect change and by who/date and what, run (hoping), nah...
return};
if (age<=65) recursive;

or enable edit and continue as described above.. noone will notice,
void result anyway

//CY who stole chr$(12)

Ryan Liu

Have you ENABLED edit&continue in the properties of vs.net? If not, do
so. However, in general it's not wise to edit while in debug mode ->
quit debugging, think why you want to make a change to the code, make
the change and then restart debugging IF necessary.

FB

Lead developer of LLBLGen Pro, the productive O/R mapper for .NET
LLBLGen Pro website: http://www.llblgen.com
My .NET blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/fbouma
Microsoft MVP (C#)

Yes, I did ENABLED edit&continue , as a matter of fact, I can not disable
it, the checkbox is grey.

I also try to check and uncheck "Stop all process if one is stopped".

I don't really need edit & continue. All I want is VS 2003 way: Allow me
edit in debug mode, but the change does not have to be seen until I
stop/start debug again.

I was doing some UI related thing, so I'd like to look at the UI and modify
the code. Or I caught an exception, my first reflection is go to where it
throws and begin to correct it -- and I am always hit the wall.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan Liu

[...]

I just found out if I can not edit, I just put a break point anywhere and
make the application pause at the break point, then I can edit.

If it passes the breakpoint, back to my application runtime UI, I am not
allowed to edit.

This is acceptable, but does it make sense?

Marc Gravell

If it passes the breakpoint, back to my application runtime UI, I am not
allowed to edit.

How about if you simply hit pause in the IDE? (Break All; [Ctrl]+[Alt]+
[Break])

Marc

Ryan Liu

Marc Gravell said:
If it passes the breakpoint, back to my application runtime UI, I am not
allowed to edit.

How about if you simply hit pause in the IDE? (Break All; [Ctrl]+[Alt]+
[Break])

Marc

Hi Marc,

Yes, after I hit breat all, I can edit.