cannot change desktop pic

Joe K

In the limited account a user changed the desktop to a picture of their
choice. In display properties,desktop tab,I cannot change the desktop
picture.I can use the other tabs but in desktop I cannot scroll down to
make change.

As the administrator in admin account where can I can this.And how do I
lock this so it can't be changed.
I cannot change desktop pic in admin account either.

Gerry Cornell

Joe

Start, Control Panel, Display, Desktop, Background.

Are you saying the scroll bar to the right of the Background
list does not work?

Can you pick others visible in the list, which do not require
you to scroll? After making your selection you need to click
on Apply and OK.

You might look in the My Pictures folder for the one which
disturbs your equilibrium and delete it.

I am not sure how you can stop changes to the Desktop
Wallpaper. I would leaves things as they are after changing
current picture. The other person may see your determination
to stop them choosing their own picture as a challenge.

You might investigate parental controls:
http://snipurl.com/l6ly

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joe K

Gerry said:
Joe

Start, Control Panel, Display, Desktop, Background.

Are you saying the scroll bar to the right of the Background
list does not work?

Can you pick others visible in the list, which do not require
you to scroll? After making your selection you need to click
on Apply and OK.

You might look in the My Pictures folder for the one which
disturbs your equilibrium and delete it.

I am not sure how you can stop changes to the Desktop
Wallpaper. I would leaves things as they are after changing
current picture. The other person may see your determination
to stop them choosing their own picture as a challenge.

You might investigate parental controls:
http://snipurl.com/l6ly
I cannot scroll nor choose another background.

Gerry Cornell

Joe

Extracted post from Google by:

Ramesh, MS-MVP
Mar 24, 4:45 am show options

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
From: "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this
author
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:15:53 +0530
Subject: Re: Cannot Right Click Desktop or Change Background
Report Abuse

Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
-and-
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

*Backup the keys to separate REG files*

Then, delete all the values you see in the right-pane, that have a value of
1.

Navigate to:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Backup the keys.
Delete the values "Wallpaper" and "WallPaperStyle" in the right-pane.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joe K

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
From: "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <[email protected]> - Find messages by this
author
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 10:15:53 +0530
Report Abuse

Open Regedit and navigate to:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
-and-
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

*Backup the keys to separate REG files*

Then, delete all the values you see in the right-pane, that have a value of
1.

Navigate to:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Backup the keys.
Delete the values "Wallpaper" and "WallPaperStyle" in the right-pane.
Thanks I will try that when I get back to that computer this week. I
will let all know of outcome.

Joe K

Joe said:
Thanks I will try that when I get back to that computer this week. I
will let all know of outcome.
I will use the group policy editor in Win XP Pro.[gpedit.msc]