cannot browse url's that contain symantec or mcafee

Mike

I was infected by the w32.hllw.gaobot.gen virus right
after fdisking and installing XP. I tried to update my
norton virus scanner but the liveupdate kept saying that
it could not connect to the server. I then tried to
browse mcafee to get removal tools but it kept giving me

Cannot find server or DNS Error

I also tried symantec but it reroutes to this link:

http://search.msn.com/dnserror.aspx?
FORM=DNSAS&q=www.symantec.com

Which says this:

We can't find "www.symantec.com"

You can try again by typing the URL in the address bar
above.
Or, search the Web:

Go to MSN Search to see complete results
for "www.symantec.com".

Download MSN Toolbar!

----------------------
Did you intend to go to one of these similar Web
addresses?
www.symantec.com

----------------------
You can also visit one of these related Web sites.
Symantec
Symantec
Symantec - Financials
Symantec - Press Center

Check availability or register the domain
name 'www.symantec.com'.
----------------------

More information about this error.
About Results

I ended up uninstalling norton and installing the free
version of avast! 4 Home Edition. I downloaded the
fxgaobot.exe removal tool and ran it. I also got a hold
of the stinger.exe from vil.nai.com and ran it in safe
mode. It cleaned whatever was infected but I have a
feeling that the virus did something to my registry which
prevents me from browsing any url containing mcafee or
symantec in it. If anyone has or is experiencing the same
problem and knows how to resolve it please contact me.

Thank you in advance.

Mike

Mike said:
[...]

NOTE:

This also happens with Opera web browser so I assume it's some typ of
security setiting that was changed. I already ttried setting all the
security settings to minimal and or default to see if that was problem but
no luck.

Jon Kennedy

Mike Burgess

Mike,
Check your HOSTS file for entries that may be preventing access
to the desired sites .....
[or]
You can use a simple batch file to rename the HOSTS file "on-the-fly".
Download: RenHosts.bat
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
Mike Burgess [MVP Windows Shell\User] http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Blocking Spyware, Adware, Parasites, Hijackers, Trojans, with a HOSTS file
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm [updated 03-15-04]
Please post replies to this Newsgroup, email address is invalid

Mike

Thank you very much guys. I knew it was something like redirecting. I knew
about the host file thing but I thought that was a kazaalite file. Good to
know that I can add/make this file without having kazaalite installed.

--

Mike said:
[...]

You're welcome .... glad to see you have things resolved.