Access Cannot access email account ?

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a bit of an ignoramus and new to this game so you'll have to bear with me !
A friend actually has the following problem and rang me for help( more fool him:D )and I've emailed his ISP (Freeserve) to see if they can shed any light on the matter but thought I'd probably have more luck here.
He has normal internet access but cannot connect to his email account and instead gets the error message:
"The connection to the server has failed. Account:"TOP.Freeserve.com", server:"pop.freeserve.com",
Protocol: POP3, Port:110, Secure(SSL):No,Socket, Error: 10060,
Error number: 0*800CCCOE"
It would be great if anyone can help me(him) with this problem.
Thank you in advance !
Best regards, Sharrow

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Account:"TOP.Freeserve.com"

Get him to check his settings ... looks like he used TOP instead of pop ... and don't use any capitals.

The address of the Freeserve SMTP mail server is: smtp.freeserve.com
The address of the Freeserve POP mail server is: pop.freeserve.com

;)

Reaction score
Hi

His account name is the exclusive name he registered at freeserve with. This is also called a domain.

e.g.
If his e-mail address is
(e-mail address removed) his account name is

whatever.freeserve.co.uk

As Muckshifter says keep this all lower case.

settings should be as follws: - in outlook express

display Name: his name or the name he wants to appear on his e-mails

e-mail address: his e-mail address in full e.g. (e-mail address removed)

incoming mail: pop.freeserve.com
outgoing: smtp.freeserve.com
Account name: the part after the @ sign in his e-mail
p-assword: what he set up on line - Case sensitive.

Let us know how you got on.

Reaction score
I have the same problem

I was interested to see this as I have the same problem with sending email. I get the same error message. not with the 'TOP' issue but with the same error number. I had a dial up connection with freeserve that used Outlook Express but then got broadband from BT that uses BT Yahoo mail. The problem seemed to start then. I now can't use Outlook Express to send email. Any suggestions?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Seems to be a common problem at the moment. :confused: I had something very similar with Windows Mail/Yahoo and Error 10060. I got round it by switching from Port 25 to Port 587 for my outgoing mail.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
This thread started 5 years ago ... ;)

I'm on BT/Yahoo ... they have had some mail server 'problems' in the last few days ... been a bugger to get mail at my end, haven't sent any mail via them, I use gmail to send. :thumb:

We are currently investigating a problem which may mean you experience difficulty connecting to our servers to receive emails, or you may be receiving a slow response from the servers. Please bear with us as we endeavour to resolve this problem as quickly as possible. Meanwhile we apologise for any inconvenience.
Check with their online notices.

:user:

Reaction score
Sorry to join the conversation 5 years late. I just found the reference tothe error number through a Google search and this is where it lead me. My problem is with sending mail from Outlook Express. I had an 'fslife' email address that came when I took out a freeserve dial up connection. Then I got BT Broadband with a 'btinternet.com' address and that's when the Outlook Express problem started. Don't know if the two things are connected or whether its a co-incidence. I'm not too technically literate. Like most people these days who work in an office environment - we have a help desk that sorts things out so when it comes to the machine at home I'm a bit lost.

Reaction score
another late comer! I cannot access my yahoo account when using my netgearwi fi router, with other router modems I have no problem,ie with a dial up conection or other wi-fi, I have tested the router which seems to be functioning fine, no problem accessing other e mail accounts, the problem is the same with firefox or explorer. when i google forums with the word yahoo, I cannot access those sites, any advice?

Reaction score
stephenshaw said:
Sorry to join the conversation 5 years late. I just found the reference tothe error number through a Google search and this is where it lead me. My problem is with sending mail from Outlook Express. I had an 'fslife' email address that came when I took out a freeserve dial up connection. Then I got BT Broadband with a 'btinternet.com' address and that's when the Outlook Express problem started. Don't know if the two things are connected or whether its a co-incidence. I'm not too technically literate. Like most people these days who work in an office environment - we have a help desk that sorts things out so when it comes to the machine at home I'm a bit lost.

Alot of ISPs are creating more security to prevent relaying.
Alot will not accept connections to their mail servers direct from users on other connections.
Also note that with most dialup accounts there is a time limit expiry.... like if you don't use a pay-as-u-go phone for so long it will disconnect from the network.

Ask a Question