    clicks in a field?

    As opposed to having to re-enter the Description as a property.

    thanks for any help.

    Will, Dec 29, 2005

  2. Will

    Allen Browne Guest

    When you create a form, Access copies the Description from the fields in the
    table into the Status Bar Text property of the controls on your form.

    --
    Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.

    Allen Browne, Dec 29, 2005

  3. Will

    Guest Guest

    RE: Can you show the Description entered for each Table Field when you

    Will,

    Yes, if during the design of your form you use the "Field List" button on
    the tool bar to display the "Field List" dialog box and drag the field to the
    form, the description that you provided during the design of the table will
    appear in the "Status Bar Text" property of the new control on your form.
    When this control received the focus the value of the "Status Bar Text"
    property will be displayed in the status bar of Access.
    --
    HTH

    Mr B

    Guest, Dec 29, 2005
  4. Will

    Will Guest

    Re: Can you show the Description entered for each Table Field when you

    OK Guys... I used the Form Wizard to rough out the form... then dragged the
    fields around to where I wanted them to finish the Form Design.

    So, the Status Bar Text property ended up blank...

    Is there anyway to tell Access to go and copy those descriptions fields from
    the table to the Status Bar Text property field on the Form?

    thanks for the help.

    Will, Dec 29, 2005
  5. Will

    Will Guest

    Re: Can you show the Description entered for each Table Field when you

    Correction,

    The table field descriptions did get in the Status Bar Text field in the
    Form Properties

    BUT... how do you update and change ehem in the table and have those changes
    and updates reflected in the property filed for the form?

    thanks,

    Will

    Will, Dec 29, 2005
  6. Will

    Guest Guest

    Re: Can you show the Description entered for each Table Field when

    I'll have to defer this one to Allen. Hopefully he has an explanation for
    what you are describing. I created a form from a table with descriptions for
    the fields, using the Wizard and all of the descriptions came in with the
    fields. They display in the Status Bar.

    I'll be interested to see what may be causing you to get a different results.
    --
    HTH

    Mr B

    Guest, Dec 29, 2005
  7. Will

    Will Guest

    Re: Can you show the Description entered for each Table Field when

    Mr B.

    You are correct. I stated the issue incorrectly.

    Problem now is if I change a Field Description in the Table...

    I can't get that updated Field Description to appear in the form.

    So, if I change a Field Description in the Table or add a Description where
    none existed before...

    How do I get that updated Field Description to appear wen I click in the
    Field on theForm?

    thanks for the help.

    Will, Dec 29, 2005
  8. Will

    Allen Browne Guest

    Re: Can you show the Description entered for each Table Field when

    Access 2003 does provide the option to update the field description on your
    forms when you update it in the table. Earlier versions do not.

    The A2003 option is not well implemented: If you answer Yes to option to
    update your forms, and then cancel the update to the table, the forms are
    updated anyway, and so they are still out of sync.

    Allen Browne, Dec 30, 2005
  9. Will

    Will Guest

    Re: Can you show the Description entered for each Table Field when

    Allen,

    Hmmm... So how do I get my forms updated to reflect the new field
    definitions in my table(s) ?

    let's say I open an existing table and add or change a field definition...

    And save the table...

    now what?

    thanks for the help.

    Will, Dec 30, 2005
  10. Will

    Allen Browne Guest

    Re: Can you show the Description entered for each Table Field when

    Assuming you are not using Access 2003, after changing the Description of
    the field in your table, you also need to find any form that uses fields
    from that table, and open it in design view. Right-click the control, and
    choose Properties. Then set its Status Bar Text property (Other tab of
    Properties box) to the text you want.

    Allen Browne, Dec 30, 2005
  11. Will

    Will Guest

    Re: Can you show the Description entered for each Table Field when

    Allen... Sorry for all the questions...

    I am using Access 2004... so how does the process differ from what you just
    described?

    thanks,

    Will

    Will, Dec 30, 2005
  12. Will

    Allen Browne Guest

    Re: Can you show the Description entered for each Table Field when

    Access 2004 sounds like an interesting beast.

    How can I get that one? :)

    Allen Browne, Dec 31, 2005