can you anchor an image to a cell in excel?

J

jy15bill

can you anchor an image to a cell so that when the sheet is sorted, the image
moves with the data?

P

Peo Sjoblom

Right click the picture and format picture, then properties and select one
of the first 2 options

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

J

jy15bill

Thanks for the response, I tried that and when I sorted the sheet the image
did not move with the data? Am I doing something wrong?

G

Gord Dibben

If the image lies entirely within the cell boundaries it will move and sort with
the cell.

Make sure you have set it "move and size with cells".

Otherwise......no.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Reaction score
I had this exact same problem and found this post...I didn't find the answer here, but as I was trying things mentioned above I figured out that Excel does not consider an image to be data so it does not sort it with the other information. I entered the number one (1) in every field where there was an image and then sorted ...IT WORKS!!! The number hidden behind the image...I tried a Print Preview and the numbers didn't show up...so this may be the fix.

Reaction score
Thanks to the reply by Gord Dibben on this thread, I got an answer I desperately wanted and have decided to register on this site for more such help I might need.

However, one correction to Dibben's reply - 'Move and Size with cell'need not be ON, 'Move but don't Size' is fine. The only other requirement seems to be that the picture visually lie completely within the cell boundaries. Which means that the cell should be resized to larger than the picture and the picture moved to lie completely within it.

Reaction score
If an object stretches vertically over several cells and one of those cells becomes higher (row height), the object will stretch to fit the new dimensions. That is if "move and size" is selected. Good for my application which does NOT involve sorting,

Reaction score
I had this exact same problem and found this post...I didn't find the answer here, but as I was trying things mentioned above I figured out that Excel does not consider an image to be data so it does not sort it with the other information. I entered the number one (1) in every field where there was an image and then sorted ...IT WORKS!!! The number hidden behind the image...I tried a Print Preview and the numbers didn't show up...so this may be the fix.
This is a very late reply, but in case you around, thank you! It worked, but my rows were different heights, and I was still having problems with pictures piling up on top of each other, etc. I made all the rows the same height and now it work perfectly!

Ask a Question