can VB ignore capitalization

dawall33

When I compare cell a1 to b1 in a formula capitalization is ignored, (ie. 2a
= 2A). This same check in a VB script fails. I'm trying to create a sheet
based of a text box and my check against the names passes but I get an error
trying to name the new sheet with the capitalized version of the name.

Ideas?

Mike H

Hi,

Do an upper case compare

If UCase(Range("a1")) = UCase(Range("b1")) Then
'do things
End If

Mike

Mike H

Hi,

Similar solution

If Range("A1").Value = 99 Then
Range("B1").Hyperlinks(1).Follow
End If
End Sub

Mike

Mike H

OOPS wrong thread

Mike H said:
Hi,

Similar solution

If Range("A1").Value = 99 Then
Range("B1").Hyperlinks(1).Follow
End If
End Sub

Mike

Jim Cone

Re: Ideas?

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this"
Doctor: "Don't do that.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"dawall33" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
When I compare cell a1 to b1 in a formula capitalization is ignored, (ie. 2a
= 2A). This same check in a VB script fails. I'm trying to create a sheet
based of a text box and my check against the names passes but I get an error
trying to name the new sheet with the capitalized version of the name.

Ideas?

Mike H

Hi,

No problem we'll get there. using X in your code makes X a variable and not
the letter X. To make it the letter X put it in quotes like below. Now you
'may' encounter another problem because it becomes case sensitive so note how
i've included an UCASE statement so if you now enter x or X it works

If UCase(Range("E5").Value) = "X" Then
Range("B5").Hyperlinks(1).Follow
End If
End Sub

Mike

Chip Pearson

You can make all text comparisons in a module ignore case by placing

Option Compare Text

at the top of the module (above and outside of any procedure or
variable declarations). Or, you can ignore case with StrComp

If StrComp(string1, string2, vbTextCompare) = 0 Then
' strings are equal
Else
' strings are different
End If