Can .NET Remoting or COM+ serviced component help performance?

I want to improve the response time of my application.

I have 3 options:
1. Run both ASPX pages and our business objects on web server and use web
farm technology.
2. Move our business objects to COM+ as serviced components. Then run our
web pages on web servers in a web farm. And run COM+ on other clustered
servers.
3. Move our business objects to .NET remoting or web service. Run our web
pages on one web farm. Run .NET remoting or web service on other web farm
servers.

My question is, can option 2 or option 3 help our application response time?

Thanks a lot.

Michael Nemtsev

Hello BF,

ASPX and Enterprise Services are the fastest

The tests and reports are there http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms996381.aspx

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

B> I want to improve the response time of my application.
B>
B> I have 3 options:
B> 1. Run both ASPX pages and our business objects on web server and use
B> web
B> farm technology.
B> 2. Move our business objects to COM+ as serviced components. Then run
B> our
B> web pages on web servers in a web farm. And run COM+ on other
B> clustered
B> servers.
B> 3. Move our business objects to .NET remoting or web service. Run our
B> web
B> pages on one web farm. Run .NET remoting or web service on other web
B> farm
B> servers.
B> My question is, can option 2 or option 3 help our application
B> response time?
B>
B> Thanks a lot.

Thanks for the reply. But that msdn article doesn't check the performance of
running aspx pages and business objects on web server in a web farm
environment, which is option 1 in my list.

After browsing through pages on different sites, I start to think "running
aspx pages and business objects on web server in a web farm environment"
gives me the best web application performance.

Any further comments?

Michael Nemtsev

Hello BF,

I can't clearly understand where are you going to host your business object
in first case
"Run both ASPX pages and our business objects on web server and use web
farm technology" ?!

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

B> Thanks for the reply. But that msdn article doesn't check the
B> performance of running aspx pages and business objects on web server
B> in a web farm environment, which is option 1 in my list.
B>
B> After browsing through pages on different sites, I start to think
B> "running aspx pages and business objects on web server in a web farm
B> environment" gives me the best web application performance.
B>
B> Any further comments?
B>
B> "Michael Nemtsev" wrote:

Hello BF,

ASPX and Enterprise Services are the fastest

The tests and reports are there

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/
"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high
and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it" (c)
Michelangelo

B> I want to improve the response time of my application.
B>
B> I have 3 options:
B> 1. Run both ASPX pages and our business objects on web server and
use
B> web
B> farm technology.
B> 2. Move our business objects to COM+ as serviced components. Then
run
B> our
B> web pages on web servers in a web farm. And run COM+ on other
B> clustered
B> servers.
B> 3. Move our business objects to .NET remoting or web service. Run
our
B> web
B> pages on one web farm. Run .NET remoting or web service on other
web
B> farm
B> servers.
B> My question is, can option 2 or option 3 help our application
B> response time?
B>
B> Thanks a lot.

"Run both ASPX pages and our business objects on web server and use web farm
technology" means I deploy both ASPX pages and business objects to IIS
server. IIS server hosts both ASPX pages and business objects.
Later, in production environment, I can use a web farm instead of one single
web server.

I worked in different companies. All except one of the web applications are
deployed this way. Basically, we don't use separate application servers for
..NET applications.

How are you deploying your .NET applications?

Thanks.

Michael Nemtsev said:
Hello BF,

I can't clearly understand where are you going to host your business object
in first case
"Run both ASPX pages and our business objects on web server and use web
farm technology" ?!

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/

B> Thanks for the reply. But that msdn article doesn't check the
B> performance of running aspx pages and business objects on web server
B> in a web farm environment, which is option 1 in my list.
B>
B> After browsing through pages on different sites, I start to think
B> "running aspx pages and business objects on web server in a web farm
B> environment" gives me the best web application performance.
B>
B> Any further comments?
B>
B> "Michael Nemtsev" wrote:

Hello BF,

ASPX and Enterprise Services are the fastest

The tests and reports are there

---
WBR, Michael Nemtsev [.NET/C# MVP].
My blog: http://spaces.live.com/laflour
Team blog: http://devkids.blogspot.com/
"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high
and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it" (c)
Michelangelo

B> I want to improve the response time of my application.
B>
B> I have 3 options:
B> 1. Run both ASPX pages and our business objects on web server and
use
B> web
B> farm technology.
B> 2. Move our business objects to COM+ as serviced components. Then
run
B> our
B> web pages on web servers in a web farm. And run COM+ on other
B> clustered
B> servers.
B> 3. Move our business objects to .NET remoting or web service. Run
our
B> web
B> pages on one web farm. Run .NET remoting or web service on other
web
B> farm
B> servers.
B> My question is, can option 2 or option 3 help our application
B> response time?
B>
B> Thanks a lot.

Michael Nemtsev

Hello BF,

I've never used such case - IIS with business objects. And use additional
tier to host business project.
it this case out business objects are not intertwined with the IIS, which
gives additonal flexibility.
In my practice we always used some kind of appserver like BizTalk or webMethods,
where we operate with the number or middleware services and IIS provided
access to our services.

---