can map drives but cannot browse network

G

I'm having a strange problem that just popped up last week. All of a sudden, none of the clients on my network can browse the "entire network". I can ping anything else on the network, and I can manually map drives to any network resource that's available, but when I open up my network places, click, entire network, then double click on the domain icon, I get the message below:

" 'DOMAINNAME' is not available. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still cannot find the network path, contact your network administrator."

I am a network admin and I can't browse the domain either. Yet all my drive mappings connect on startup and I can even map more provided I key in the correct path.

I first noticed this problem when I was attempting to install a network printer for a user and was going to "browse" to it but was declined. I soon realized that nobody, including myself, can either.

Why can't me, or anyone else in my domain, browse anymore?

Thanx,
Vinny Hahn

G

Hi Vinny,

Are you getting any error messages in your server or clients event logs?
Make sure the browser service is running on your DC('s).

There may be a problem with your master browser. See:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188305

Post back with specific event log errors you may be receiving. Please include Event ID, Source, and Message details.

Ian Bagnald
MCSE:Security W2K
MCSA:Security W2K
COMPTIA A+

Ask a Question