Can I use this old drive on my newer system?

David Farber

I have an old Leading Edge pc from the late '80's. It has a MiniScribe 3438
hard drive. Its capacity is 32mb. The hookup from the motherboard to the
drive is through an ISA Adaptec controller card. The 5 1/4" floppy drive is
kaput in that system so I tried transplanting the Adaptec controller card
and hard drive into my Abit KT-7 motherboard but the system froze after
detecting the drives. Anybody have any ideas on how to configure this thing
to get it work? I just want to copy some files off it and then put it out to
pasture.

Thanks for your reply.

John Doe

David Farber said:
I have an old Leading Edge pc from the late '80's. It has a
MiniScribe 3438 hard drive. Its capacity is 32mb. The hookup from
the motherboard to the drive is through an ISA Adaptec controller
card. The 5 1/4" floppy drive is kaput in that system so I tried
transplanting the Adaptec controller card and hard drive into my
Abit KT-7 motherboard but the system froze after detecting the
drives. Anybody have any ideas on how to configure this thing to
get it work? I just want to copy some files off it and then put it
out to pasture.

I have a feeling some others might know better, but.

Have you looked in the BIOS?

Have you tried setting jumpers?

Here is some technical information about that hard disk drive.

http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/1999-March/122039.html

If I were you, I would copy and paste the data to your notes.

Good luck.

David Farber

John Doe said:
I have a feeling some others might know better, but.

Have you looked in the BIOS?

Have you tried setting jumpers?

Here is some technical information about that hard disk drive.

http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/1999-March/122039.html

If I were you, I would copy and paste the data to your notes.

Good luck.

<snipped from above link>

3212 3412 3425/3438
------ ------ -----------

PIN 1 PIN 1 PIN 1
ON/OFF CLOSED / NU 1 CLOSED / NU 1 ON / NU
OFF CLOSED / TEST 2 CLOSED / TEST 2 ON / TEST
OFF CLOSED / TEST 3 CLOSED / TEST 3 ON / TEST
OFF CLOSED / TEST 4 CLOSED / TEST 4 ON / TEST
ON OPEN / DS 4 5 OPEN / DS 4 5 OFF / DS 4
ON OPEN / DS 3 6 OPEN / DS 3 6 OFF / DS 3
ON OPEN / DS 2 7 OPEN / DS 2 * 7 OFF / DS 2
OFF CLOSED / DS 1 8 CLOSED / DS 1 * 8 ON / DS 1
SHUNT SHUNT SWITCH
* NOTE: If twisted cable or second drive,7 & 8 are switched;7 on-8 off.

<end snip>

I think I need a little clarification as to what this chart is trying to
say. What settings should I use if I'm trying to set it up as a single drive
with a twisted cable?

Thanks for your reply.

David Maynard

David said:
I have an old Leading Edge pc from the late '80's. It has a MiniScribe 3438
hard drive. Its capacity is 32mb. The hookup from the motherboard to the
drive is through an ISA Adaptec controller card. The 5 1/4" floppy drive is
kaput in that system so I tried transplanting the Adaptec controller card
and hard drive into my Abit KT-7 motherboard but the system froze after
detecting the drives. Anybody have any ideas on how to configure this thing
to get it work? I just want to copy some files off it and then put it out to
pasture.

Thanks for your reply.

Hard to tell without looking at it but you've likely got an IRQ conflict
between the on-board IDE and the adaptec board that probably expects to be
the primary hard drive controller.

If the old system still boots it'd probably be easier to swap a floppy or
CD drive into *it* for copying off files rather than trying to get that old
RLL controller working in a new system.

Otherwise, find the docs for the adaptec and see if you can strap it to be
a secondary controller.

John Doe

What settings should I use if I'm trying to set it up as a single
drive

Why would you be trying to set it up as a single drive? I would not
expect to be able to boot from it.

dannysdailys

David Farberwrote
I have an old Leading Edge pc from the late '80's. It has
MiniScribe 343
hard drive. Its capacity is 32mb. The hookup from the motherboard t th
drive is through an ISA Adaptec controller card. The 5 1/4" flopp drive i
kaput in that system so I tried transplanting the Adaptec controlle car
and hard drive into my Abit KT-7 motherboard but the system froz afte
detecting the drives. Anybody have any ideas on how to configur this thin
to get it work? I just want to copy some files off it and then pu it out t
pasture

Thanks for your reply

-
David Farbe

Yes, this should work, I would think. I'm assuming the controlle
card has no need for drivers? If so they must be installed
The other thing you want to do, is set the jumpers on the drive t
slave. What's probably happening is she's trying to boot from tha
drive. Another thing you could possibly do, is to go into the syste
bios and check your boot order. If it's booting to SCSI device
disable it and make it hard drive 0. (assuming your main drive i
IDE

David Farber

John Doe said:

Why would you be trying to set it up as a single drive? I would not
expect to be able to boot from it.

I meant a single drive on the Adaptec controller. Obviously I want to boot
from the existing drive on the KT-7's onboard controller. By hooking the
MiniScribe drive cable to the drive 0 port on the Adaptec controller, is it
then trying to boot from this drive?

Thanks for your reply.

John Doe

I meant a single drive on the Adaptec controller. Obviously I want
to boot from the existing drive on the KT-7's onboard controller.

Maybe it should be obvious, but it's not obvious when you say
"single drive".
By hooking the MiniScribe drive cable to the drive 0 port on the
Adaptec controller, is it then trying to boot from this drive?

You can try and find out.

David Maynard's advice might be good. Were you able to boot in the
old computer? It might be easier to figure out a way to transfer the
data if you can boot in the old computer.

Michael Hawes

David Farber said:
I meant a single drive on the Adaptec controller. Obviously I want to boot
from the existing drive on the KT-7's onboard controller. By hooking the
MiniScribe drive cable to the drive 0 port on the Adaptec controller, is it
then trying to boot from this drive?

Thanks for your reply.
What OS on the drive? Adaptec card may conflict with onboard IDE. Try
disabling IDE controllers and boot from floppy, or try HD if has DOS.You can
then copy files to floppies.
Mike.

John Doe

What OS on the drive? Adaptec card may conflict with onboard IDE.
Try disabling IDE controllers and boot from floppy, or try HD if
has DOS.You can then copy files to floppies.

Right... also try:

.... set the boot order to floppy disk first

.... instead of disabling IDE controllers, removed the other hard
disk drive(s), better yet remove everything that's not necessary (as
if you were having trouble while building a new system)

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

David Farber said:
I meant a single drive on the Adaptec controller. Obviously I want to boot
from the existing drive on the KT-7's onboard controller. By hooking the
MiniScribe drive cable to the drive 0 port on the Adaptec controller, is it
then trying to boot from this drive?

Well, you'll need to set the Adaptec controller to an alternative
set of addresses - since it's presuming the same addresses as IDE 0 on the
motherboard!

Which is why you're locking up.

I AM presuming it's the 16 bit Adaptec controller, not the 8 bit.
If 8 bit, then you've got other problems there, having to do with timing of
the ISA buss. Could have those anyway on a 16 bit card ...

*wonders how anyone starts a service station so blatantly unaware of
the ports used by standard host adapters / controllers for PC hard disks*

RwP

JAD

Ralph Wade Phillips said:
Howdy!

Well, you'll need to set the Adaptec controller to an alternative
set of addresses - since it's presuming the same addresses as IDE 0 on the
motherboard!

Which is why you're locking up.

I AM presuming it's the 16 bit Adaptec controller, not the 8 bit.
If 8 bit, then you've got other problems there, having to do with timing of
the ISA buss. Could have those anyway on a 16 bit card ...

*wonders how anyone starts a service station so blatantly unaware of
the ports used by standard host adapters / controllers for PC hard disks*

RwP

What if its a Stereo/entertainment equipment service station? What have
ports and hard drives to do with that service?

John Doe

Ralph Wade Phillips said:
Howdy!
Doody?

"David Farber" <farberbear.unspam aol.com> wrote in message
Well, you'll need to set the Adaptec controller to an
alternative
set of addresses -

He can't do that.
since it's presuming the same addresses as IDE 0 on the
motherboard!
Which is why you're locking up.

There are lots of reasons a computer locks up.
I AM presuming it's the 16 bit Adaptec controller, not the
8 bit.
If 8 bit, then you've got other problems there, having to do with
timing of the ISA buss. Could have those anyway on a 16 bit card
*wonders how anyone starts a service station so blatantly
unaware of
the ports used by standard host adapters / controllers for PC hard
disks*

Huh? Who's starting a "service station"? For your drivel to have any
meaning in this forum, you would have to at least suggest something
like "you are going to have to run DOS and install drivers for the
Adaptec controller".

I'm wondering why a "techie" is so unaware of USENET protocol. We
don't put a salutation at the beginning of a reply and we don't
indent paragraphs.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Oh, boy, another netkook.

John Doe said:
He can't do that.

But it can be done on the Adaptec controllers. Or could back when
they were the big news, from the early 80's into the middle 90's.
There are lots of reasons a computer locks up.

Yah, but what are the chances it's something else when it locks
during the POST?
Huh? Who's starting a "service station"? For your drivel to have any
meaning in this forum, you would have to at least suggest something
like "you are going to have to run DOS and install drivers for the
Adaptec controller".

Check the OP's signature.

And why would he need to load DOS drivers when there's perfectly
good INT13 firmware on the controller?
I'm wondering why a "techie" is so unaware of USENET protocol. We
don't put a salutation at the beginning of a reply and we don't
indent paragraphs.

Maybe YOU don't - but I have since the 70's.

I also don't hid behind an obviously fake name.

And, yes, I'm VERY aware of USENET protocols, having been around
since about, oh, RFC 1.

RwP

John Doe

Babbling troll