Can a script be writted to populate the subject field with other fields?

Reaction score
I am in no way a dev or script writer, so a very specific answer will help. I created a custom template to schedule rooms in outlook. These rooms are run by 30 or so different groups. Under each group is an event that this group hosts. What is taking place now is the person entering them has to use a drop down (Just to get spelling correct for searches) and select the group. They then use a second drop down for the event.

Is it possible to create a script that can be ran upon closing, or sometime after selecting these values, that will populate the subject line? The person has to manually reenter this information so it is visible from the week view of the calendar. If this helps I think what I am looking for would automatically fill the subject field with a value of
[Ministry Name] * [Ministry Event]
I might be way off on my terminology so please forgive me if I am. Thanks

Reaction score
I am in no way a dev or script writer, so a very specific answer will help. I created a custom template to schedule rooms in outlook. These rooms are run by 30 or so different groups. Under each group is an event that this group hosts. What is taking place now is the person entering them has to use a drop down (Just to get spelling correct for searches) and select the group. They then use a second drop down for the event.

Is it possible to create a script that can be ran upon closing, or sometime after selecting these values, that will populate the subject line? The person has to manually reenter this information so it is visible from the week view of the calendar. If this helps I think what I am looking for would automatically fill the subject field with a value of
[Ministry Name] * [Ministry Event]
I might be way off on my terminology so please forgive me if I am. Thanks

No need for code, simply enter the fields you want concatenated as a formula. Open your subject field and put as the default value what you want to appear. Put text strings in "quotes", field names in [brackets] and join them all with the "&". e.g.:

"New Request - " & [Request Title] & " - " & [Requestor]

This will result in something similar to:

New Request - Create new location - Joe Blow

Make sure "calculate this formula automatically" is checked so that it will calculate as you make changes to the form. If you have "Calculate this formula when I compose a new form" the formula will see that all the fields are empty and so that will be your subject line, it won't update as you update the fields.

Ask a Question