Call Of Duty 4/Vista/Punkbuster

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This morning Windows Vista had a helluva lot of updates.

Took a good five minutes or so, had to reboot, and when that had finished there was another update. Reboot again.

I looked at the update history and the majority were security updates. Ok. Fair enough. This is Microsoft safeguarding me, right?

Last night I played Call Of Duty 4 online with no probs at all.

This evening, Punkbuster keeps kicking me from every server I try that has Punkbuster enabled.

I gotta say, at this point, I loathe Punkbuster, it stinks. But whatever, if I want to play this game, guess I gotta put up with it.

I took the advice offered me from the flashscreen that appeared whenever I got kicked and manually updated Punkbuster for CoD4 from evenbalance.com

But I'm still getting kicked.

Anybody got any ideas here? Is there anywhere within Vista to disable blocking crap for specific applications? Like CoD4, for instance?

And by way of mentioning, I have no issues running CoD4 online within XP Pro SP2 on another machine.

This is a Vista issue.

Damn shame, this, cos I was starting to really like Vista but it seems to me, in many areas, Vista is still very much a Beta.

Any advice/ideas/flippant comments welcome ;)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
what happens exactly? are you kick with no warning? Info! :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
No warning, mostly two different reasons.

'Failure to send packets' and 'pb init failure'.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You could try updating PB again, i've had an issue before when it 'apparently' updated but didn't. wtf?

Is it vistas firewall?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I did actually update punkbuster twice as the first time it didn't seem to do anything.

Second time, I had a progress bar showing with a red stripe working it's way across and it took a little while.

That, to me, looked like it was actually updating.

CoD4 is ticked as an exception in Vista Firewall.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
theres an automatic update for PB? i had to do mine by copy n paste style.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
theres an automatic update for PB? i had to do mine by copy n paste style.

Yes there is.

So now you've had your questions answered - any ideas? :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't profess to understand, I just report things as they happen, but I just spent an hour on a uk server (ucs clan uk) without punkbuster kicking me.

I do note there have been two updates for Vista today - I wonder?

Whatever, on that one server all is good, I'll have to try a few more before being totally convinced.

I did try updating Punkbuster again but it assures me I'm fully up to date.

So what was it? One off glitch that a reboot cleared? Vista fault? Punkbuster fault? I guess I'll never know but I do hope this doesn't give me any more problems.

Quite glad, really, because as each day goes by, contrary to my expectations, I really am warming to Vista, I like it.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Its defintly PBs fault, i have a friend who has trouble with it everytime he starts up CoD4.
now that i think of it, he has Vista too.

I have XP and ive only had a problem with PB before i updated.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Welp, just been on another server and all was good, looks like it may have been a temporary glitch that the guilty party has now put to rights. I hope so.

Ask a Question