Calculating Distance in MIles

D

Dennis Tucker

Lets say I have two locations on the earth surface. These locations are stated as

Location 1

geo:lat=57.64911

geo:lon=10.40744

&

Location 2

geo:lat=58.64911

geo:lon=11.40744

What is the easiest and accurate way to calculate the distance between these locations in miles?

What is the formula?

Dennis

M

macropod

Hi Dennis,

For distances at sea level, try:
ACOS(SIN(RADIANS(Lat1))*SIN(RADIANS(Lat2))+COS(RADIANS(Lat1))*COS(RADIANS(Lat2))*COS(RADIANS(Long1-Long2)))*RadiusEarth
where:
Lat1, Lat2, Long1-Long2 are named cells containing the latitudes and longitudes (you could use cell addresses instead).
RadiusEarth = 3956.56 (the average distance in statute miles, but the distance around the equator is longer than around the poles).
You could adjust this for the average distances from the center of the earth for the start and end locations.

--
Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

Lets say I have two locations on the earth surface. These locations are stated as

Location 1

&

Location 2

What is the easiest and accurate way to calculate the distance between these locations in miles?

What is the formula?

Dennis

D

Dennis Tucker

Thanks, but I looked over the data on that web page before my questions.
I'm working strictly with Decimal Degrees.

I'm hoping someone has already done this conversion with VBA and is willing
to share it.

Dennis

H

helene and gabor

Hello Dennis,

The latitudes can be North or South, the longitudes East or West.

Best Regards

Gabor Sebo

Have program.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location 1

&

Location 2

What is the formula?

Dennis

H

helene and gabor

Hello Dennis,

My Excel program says the distance is:

78.1216 miles.

Best Regards,

Gabor Sebo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location 1

&

Location 2

What is the formula?

Dennis

Ask a Question