CAB-Files: ARM, ARMv4, MIPS.... Why needed?

Boris Nienke

Hi,

thinking about the differnt CAB-Files that are created i wonder why there
are different CABs needed for the processortypes...

i thought, that the software is .NET now! So if you build an application
(without bundling it with the CF-Installation) shouldn't the EXE run on
EVERY computer with a .NET-Framework installed?

i have written a small display-test application (switching colors, drawing
lines pixels etc.) - this EXE (from the ARM CAB-File) is running fine on a
P4 computer with .NET installed.

So: WHY are there CAB-Files for MIPS, X86, ... etc?

Boris

Elisa

Hi Boris,

There is some info about a "Pocket PC Platform Independent CAB File" in
the .NET CF Quickstart tutorial on www.gotdotnet.com. Haven't actually
read it, but it might be helpful.

Regards,

Elisa

Chris Tacke, eMVP

The CAB itself can target a specific processor, but you're right, the EXE
itself doesn't care. The runtimes are a different story - they are
processor dependent.

Boris Nienke

The CAB itself can target a specific processor, but you're right, the EXE
itself doesn't care. The runtimes are a different story - they are
processor dependent.

so is it right when i build a setup that i could just put ONE CAB into it
(the ARM for example) and it would work on any device supporting the
CompactFramework?

I'm asking because putting all CABs into the setup will make it very big
(one CAB ~200 kb... but 5 CABs >1MB)

currently i only have
- EXE
- DLL (assembly)
- GIF, Database, ...
in my CABs

Boris

Stan Adermann [Msft]

VS generates processor-specific CAB files because they include a native
cesetup.dll. This .dll is not necessary for install, so you could modify
the .inf to remove the setup.dll and then specify no processor. This will
allow it to install on any CE device.

Stan Adermann
Developer
Microsoft .NET Compact Framework