C:\windows directory and c:\D&S\User\Windows directory

Alex

Hi

I have an application that uses a .ini file and works on a 2000 server
accessed by terminal services clients.

If I put the .ini file in the c:\documentsand settings\user\windows
directory, each time the user opens a session, this .ini file is replicated
on the c:\windows directory, and every user shares it.

I want every user to have his own .ini file. How can I do it ?

Thanks

Alex

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Alex" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Subject: C:\windows directory and c:\D&S\User\Windows directory
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:08:21 +0100

Hi

--

Microsoft recommends that you use the user-global method to install Windows Applications. With this method, an
application is installed one time by an administrator and can be run by anyone who logs on to that Terminal Server

When the installation is complete, click Finish if you used Add/Remove Programs, or use the Change User or Execute
command, to place the session back into execute mode. When a user starts the application for the first time, the required
user-specific files are automatically copied to the user's home directory.

By default, most Win32 applications install as user-global, even when the session is not in installation mode. These
applications make use of Terminal Server's registry, where each user can have a unique set of registry settings. Win16
applications use INI files for configuration settings. They must be installed by using installation mode so that multiple users
have separate copies of these files. Microsoft recommends that you always install any Windows application, whether 16-bit
or 32-bit, by using installation mode.

Note: The most common mistake in application installation is to insert an application compact disc, let it start with AutoRun,
and bring up its installation options, and then install it from the CD's startup options. This installs the application only for the
currently logged on user.

The above was taken from the article:

186498 - Terminal Server Application Integration Information
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];186498

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Steve Parry