Bypassing a form's OnOpen event

A Marano

I have a form frmPatientSelection with a command button cmdFindPatient, that
opens another form frmPatientEntry using the following code:

Dim TempFilter As String
TempFilter = "[MedicalRecordNum]=" & "'" & Me![txtMedicalRecordNum] &
"'"
DoCmd.OpenForm "frmR1EntryForm", , , TempFilter

where txtMedicalRecordNum is a TextBox that allows the user to enter a
patient's medical record number thereby selecting a patient in
frmPatientEntry.

In frmPatientEntry, I used the OnOpen event to test for whether a patient
with that medical record number actually exists and if not, cause the form
to not open and give an error message:

If Me.RecordsetClone.RecordCount = 0 Then
MsgBox "Please select a valid medical record number, blah, blah
blah."
Cancel = True
End If

This all works fine but my problem is this: I want to add another button
that allows the user to add a brand new patient. But any code I write to do
this runs into frmPatientEntry's OnOpen event which tests for the "no valid
record" condition. How can I somehow put code in the cmdAddNewPatient
button that bypasses frmPatientEntry's OnOpen event code?

Thanks in advance!

Graham Mandeno

When you use the form to add a new patient, you are presumably specifying
acAdd for the DataMode argument, like this:

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmR1EntryForm", , , , acAdd

This causes the form to open in DataEntry mode, so you can check this in
Form_Open and bail out:

If Me.DataEntry then Exit Sub

A Marano

That's great Graham. That sounds like that'll solve this problem exactly.

Much thanks!

Excellent solution Graham. My first thought was to use the OpenArgs and make
the decision in the Load event, but I like your idea much better.

--
Good Luck!

Graham Mandeno [Access MVP]
Auckland, New Zealand

A Marano said:
[...]

Thanks, Klatuu :)

What's your real name, BTW, or do you prefer a cloak of anonymity?

--
Cheers,
Graham M

A Marano said:
I have a form frmPatientSelection with a command button cmdFindPatient,
that
opens another form frmPatientEntry using the following code:

Dim TempFilter As String
TempFilter = "[MedicalRecordNum]=" & "'" & Me![txtMedicalRecordNum]
&
"'"
[...]

Dave Hargis, Fort Worth, Texas