Buzzy's Update!

Buzzy

Hi All,
Just a short note to let you know that I've updated my site. This
issue, I've homed the hubble scope down on 'WeatherPulse'. Plus, the
usual stuff. I hope you can all stop by when you get a chance.

Cheers,
Buzzy :)

--
--- Buzzy's Stall Wall ---
www.buzzys.net

ellis_jay

Buzzy said:
Hi All,
Just a short note to let you know that I've updated my site. This
issue, I've homed the hubble scope down on 'WeatherPulse'. Plus, the
usual stuff. I hope you can all stop by when you get a chance.

Cheers,
Buzzy :)

Hubble just had some major problems----something broke.!

Brian Robertson

Buzzy said:
Hi All,
Just a short note to let you know that I've updated my site. This
issue, I've homed the hubble scope down on 'WeatherPulse'. Plus, the usual
stuff. I hope you can all stop by when you get a chance.

I presume the ISP that you are upset at is Bell Sympatico. There has been a
lot of talk about the loss of their Usenet Newsgroup service over at
can.internet.highspeed. I am with Rogers, we lost our Newsgroups back in
January. Seems to be a Canadian trend.

Also in can.internet.highspeed is a discussion of Bell Sympatico's decision
to monitor their customer's internet usage, and their policy of turning over
private records of that use to the police without requiring a warrant. To my
knowledge Sympatico is the only Canadian ISP to do this so far.

Buzzy

I presume the ISP that you are upset at is Bell Sympatico. There has been a
lot of talk about the loss of their Usenet Newsgroup service over at
can.internet.highspeed. I am with Rogers, we lost our Newsgroups back in
January. Seems to be a Canadian trend.

Absolutely correct!! I used newsgroups on a regular basis and considered
it part and parcel to my package. I have since paid individual.net for
the service which I used when it was free. I STILL want to change isp's
like cogoco cable however, I think the 'canadian' trend may spread to
them too. AFA records, I don't give a shit! I have nothing to hide, I
just want that damn service!

Cheers,
Buzzy :)

--

ellis_jay said:
Hubble just had some major problems----something broke.!

Yeah, like my reading glasses. Growing old can be a pain in the ass
sometimes, believe me!!

Cheers,
Buzzy :)

--
--- Buzzy's Stall Wall ---
www.buzzys.net
"The World Wide Web's Rest Area"
Warning: This site contains MY
version of freeware! All are welcome!

Nicetameetya

Absolutely correct!! I used newsgroups on a regular basis and considered
it part and parcel to my package. I have since paid individual.net for
the service which I used when it was free. I STILL want to change isp's
like cogoco cable however, I think the 'canadian' trend may spread to
them too. AFA records, I don't give a shit! I have nothing to hide, I
just want that damn service!

Cheers,
Buzzy :)

The trend in New Zealand as well. The country's biggest (although not
best) ISP pulled the plug on its news server a few months back,
claiming it was a "complimentary service." It's interesting to see
that other ISP's are also full of shite.

Brian Robertson

Nicetameetya said:
The trend in New Zealand as well. The country's biggest (although not
best) ISP pulled the plug on its news server a few months back,
claiming it was a "complimentary service." It's interesting to see
that other ISP's are also full of shite.

I suspect many ISPs are being filled with fear as well. Usenet (sadly) is
being used to distribute pirated movies, music, software as well as child
pornography. The ISP's lawyers are probably telling them to cut-and-run
before they have to find out how culpable they are for the content on their
NNTP servers.

ellis_jay

Brian said:
I suspect many ISPs are being filled with fear as well. Usenet
(sadly) is being used to distribute pirated movies, music, software
as well as child pornography. The ISP's lawyers are probably telling
them to cut-and-run before they have to find out how culpable they
are for the content on their NNTP servers.

Bush.

___Sador the carpenter to Turin
Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

Ellis_Jay

John Corliss

Brian said:
I suspect many ISPs are being filled with fear as well. Usenet (sadly) is
being used to distribute pirated movies, music, software as well as child
pornography. The ISP's lawyers are probably telling them to cut-and-run
before they have to find out how culpable they are for the content on their
NNTP servers.

For the most part, all they have to do is to stop carrying the binary
groups. I think other reasons that ISPs are discontinuing usenet support
are:

1. If they have their own newsfeeds, it's costly and labor intensive to
maintain those servers. Rob, who works at my ISP, Computer Country, told
me that they discontinued having their own newsfeed for exactly this
reason. I'm fortunate though, that they carry news via Supernews.

2. Another major reason would be that ISPs see a way to increase the
amount of money they can charge by discontinuing usenet support until
the outcry is loud enough that they can "give in" and offer it again for
a separate fee.

Just the day before yesterday, I was looking for a free news server that
supports posting. Didn't even have to have binaries. Just have a
reasonable speed and allow reading text only groups and, as I said,
posting. I had no luck. Has anybody else found anything?

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc (who uses sock puppets)

Brian Robertson

Big Snip

Just the day before yesterday, I was looking for a free news server that
supports posting. Didn't even have to have binaries. Just have a
reasonable speed and allow reading text only groups and, as I said,
posting. I had no luck. Has anybody else found anything?

I have added a change to the Subject Title to better reflect the ongoing
discussion in this thread.

John I have been happily using TeraNews. They charge a one-time setup fee of
$3.95, after that it's free. I joined on June 1st of this year, my next
rebilling of the setup fee is scheduled for 9972 days from today. I am
allowed to download 50Mbytes per day. I currently have a credit of
124.77Mbytes, because I don't download very much.

You can either visit the following link, which will give me credit for your
referral
https://secure.usenetbilling.com/ne...383&action=Create+New+Account&vendor=teranews

or just visit the link they put into the signature at the bottom of this
post.

Buzzy

[...]

I did the same thing! I was amazed actually! I found nothing.
What scares me is; are the isp's going to be doing the same thing with
e-mail?! Another freebie!? We're just paying for the internet access?
*huge sigh*

Buzzy :)

--
--- Buzzy's Stall Wall ---
www.buzzys.net
"The World Wide Web's Rest Area"
Warning: This site contains MY
version of freeware! All are welcome!

Susan Bugher

Buzzy said:
John Corliss wrote:
I did the same thing! I was amazed actually! I found nothing.
What scares me is; are the isp's going to be doing the same thing with
e-mail?! Another freebie!? We're just paying for the internet access?
*huge sigh*

There's a little info in the wiki, dunno how current it is. . .
http://acfwiki.pbwiki.com/FreeNewsservers

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Mindful

John Corliss said:
Just the day before yesterday, I was looking for a free news server that
supports posting. Didn't even have to have binaries. Just have a
reasonable speed and allow reading text only groups and, as I said,
posting. I had no luck. Has anybody else found anything?

Free, you can post and there is no sign-up. Just add to your NR.

aioe.cjb.net or nntp;aioe.org

There is also usenet.zapto.org, news.x-privat.org and news.datemas.de but
you need to sign up for the free accounts at not set-up charge. All allow
posting.

jyazel

John I have been happily using TeraNews. They charge a one-time setup fee of
$3.95, after that it's free. I joined on June 1st of this year, my next
rebilling of the setup fee is scheduled for 9972 days from today. I am
allowed to download 50Mbytes per day. I currently have a credit of
124.77Mbytes, because I don't download very much.
========================

I'm confused. You say that they charge a one-time fee, after that it's free.

Then you say they are going to charge you again.

??????

Jack

John Corliss

Mindful said:
Free, you can post and there is no sign-up. Just add to your NR.

aioe.cjb.net or nntp;aioe.org

There is also usenet.zapto.org, news.x-privat.org and news.datemas.de
but you need to sign up for the free accounts at not set-up charge.
All allow posting.

I just tried aioe.cjb.net. Fast and free. No binaries, but oh well.
Guess it pays to ask!

Many thanks!

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett or Doc (who uses sock puppets)
for instance. No adware, cdware, commercial software, crippleware,
demoware, nagware, PROmotionware, shareware, spyware, time-limited
software, trialware, viruses or warez for me, please.

Brian Robertson

========================

I'm confused. You say that they charge a one-time fee, after that it's
free.

Then you say they are going to charge you again.

??????
Yep that's what the account page shows. They intend to charge me another
$3.95 in another 27+ years. That's only 14.6¢ per year.

Perhaps its just the way the account page is setup. I have noticed on other
lifetime memberships that I have, that an arbitrary date is inserted. Some
of these dates are 100 or more years from now, others are less. I don't know
if they really intend to charge me or not. I certainly wont whine about it.

aafuss

Buzzy said:
I have tried to install your apps before and didn't get past the
installation! Must be my system! :)
Do you do anything for Linux (Mandriva distro)? :)

Buzzy :)

--
--- Buzzy's Stall Wall ---
www.buzzys.net
"The World Wide Web's Rest Area"
Warning: This site contains MY
version of freeware! All are welcome!
Should rune under Wine.

Try to install this on Windows and then run Babya Logic's install
program:
http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/libraryfiles.exe

raincoater

Hello, John Corliss ! You wrote

SNIP
Just the day before yesterday, I was looking for a free news server that
supports posting. Didn't even have to have binaries. Just have a
reasonable speed and allow reading text only groups and, as I said,
posting. I had no luck. Has anybody else found anything?

aioe.org?