Button Backcolor property not working even with SP2 installed

David Robinson

Hi,

I have been trying to get the backcolor property of the button control to
work under the .NET compact framework with a custom Windows CE image, but I
am having no luck. The problem only seems to occur when running the
application on a customised Windows CE image. If I run the application in the
Windows CE 5.0 emulator, in Windows XP or on an ARM based Pocket PC 2003 I
can successfully change the background colour of a button. However when I run
the application on a customised CE 5 or CE6 operating system on X86 based
hardware the button doesn’t change colour.

I have tested the forecolor property of the button control and I can
successfully change this colour.

I have also tested the radiobutton, and checkbox controls as they both
inherit from the same buttonbase class. I can successfully change the
background colour of these controls.

I have double checked that I have SP1 of VS2005 and SP2 of the .NET Compact
framework 2.0 installed on both the development machine and CE image. The CE
image reports .NET version 2.0.7045.

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction
with this problem as I am struggling to understand it.

Regards

David Robinson

I'm willing to bet that you have the XP Skin component in the CE image. If
your Forms have a gradient colored caption bar then that is the case. If
this skin is enabled, setting backcolor does nothing as the skin overrides
it. Either remove the component or turn it off via the registry.

David Robinson

Hi,

Thank you for the quick response.

The XP skin was indeed the problem although when I removed it I had other
unusual color problems. I have identified the xp skin code for the button and
I am in the process of customising it to allow the backcolor to be changed.

Out of interest, do you know why this one control designed to not allow the
backcolor to be changed?

Thank you again for your help.

Regards

David Robinson

It's not just that one control, there are a couple that the skin affects.
I've never taken the time to identify the "why," I just know the behavior
and the casue.

--

Chris Tacke, eMVP
Join the Embedded Developer Community

Ramesh

hi i am also facing same problem.can you explain me how to turn off the xp
skin from registry.

Thank you,
with regards,
Ramesh.B

Chris Tacke, eMVP

It's in the registry. Under HKLM\Shell or similar. I don't have a device
handy right now to check the exact key.

--

Chris Tacke, Embedded MVP
OpenNETCF Consulting
http://community.OpenNETCF.com

Ramesh

Hi,

Thank you for the quick response.

Can you tell me the name of the key.so that i can search the key in the
device.

Thank you,
with regards,
Ramesh.B

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

That was the point of his previous message. No, he has no device. Use the
Remote Registry Editor on your device and your common sense to identify the
key.

Paul T.

Ramesh

Hi,
i under stood he does not had the device.but i cannot find (guess)the
registry key for removing xp skin component.i tried few but not working.i
tried the keys hklm/shell but not working.please send me the approximate name
of the key.if you have the device also how can you find without knowing the
name of the key.
if any one knows the proper key to remove the xp skin component from windows
ce 5.0 device please help me.

please find out and help me.

Thank you,
with regards,
Ramesh.B

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

All we're doing is what you could do yourself: read the help, read the code,
figure out what might work...

From reading the code in \public\common\oak\drivers\skinnableui, it appears
to me that you cannot control whether buttons or any other UI element is
drawn using the XP skin or some other skin via the registry. The registry
can be used to control some aspects of control drawing (how wide a scroll
bar is, for example), but the code to drawn buttons in the XP appearance is
either built into your OS or not. If it is, you can't turn it off. If it's
not, you can't turn it on. You'll have to take one of the following
actions, depending on what fits your needs best:

1. Remove the XP Skin component from your OS configuration and rebuild the
OS. This will give you the Windows 9x appearance, where you can control the
button background color.

2. Continue using the XP Skin, but draw your own buttons in your
application, so that you can control the background drawing (using
owner-drawn buttons, I presume).

3. Clone and modify the XP Skin and modify the build variables, as indicated
in the CE5 help, to create your own skin library which does something
different with button drawing, but otherwise maintains the XP Skin
appearance.

4. Live with things the way they are.

Paul T.

Chris Tacke, eMVP

I don't have the source handy, but I an absolutely certain there is a
registry key (at least there was in CE 5.0, which is when I ran into this
problem and spent a day figuring it out myself) that you can disable the
skin behavior with. I don't have a CE 5.0 device with the XP skin in the
image handy (and I certainly am not going to create one just to test this),
so I don't know what it is (the key only appears if you have skin support
installed). The key is something like Shell\EnableSkin and is set to "1"
when you add skin support to the OS image. Deleting it or setting it to 0
turns off the skin behavior and allows the backcolor to do its thing.

-Chris

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT
com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Boy, I sure can't find it. CE6, maybe? I just did a search in *.reg in
PUBLIC and don't see any mention of "skin" at all. Further, if you look at
how GWES is built, it either has the XP skin libraries built into it or not.
Searching the XP skin code doesn't find any registry entries other than
those that I mentioned. I also looked in the source for GWES and don't see
anything there. I searched the shell folders in public for "skin", too.
Nothing.

Maybe I'll build an image in the background and see if something appears...

Paul T.

Chris Tacke said:
[...]

From reading the code in \public\common\oak\drivers\skinnableui, it
appears to me that you cannot control whether buttons or any other UI
[...]

Definitely not 6. It was eitehr 4.2 or 5.0 when I hit this as a support
issue at ADS. It took forever to find the reg key, but once I found it I
recall that the naming made sense. Don't recall if "skin" was actually in
the name or not - I just recall it being there.

Chris Tacke said:
[...]

From reading the code in \public\common\oak\drivers\skinnableui, it

:

[...]

in
message
[...]

I did a bit more digging and in some really old notes I have this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Explorer]
"QVGA"=dword:0 ; 0=Win9x look, 1=WinXP look

I take this to mean that if "QVGA" == 1, it ends up with the XP skin, but
with 0 or missing it ends up with the 9x look.

The key name seems very non-intuitive.

Chris Tacke said:
[...]

From reading the code in \public\common\oak\drivers\skinnableui, it
[...]

Well, it's worth a try. I don't see a connection in code, but I could be
missing something.

Paul T.

DOT com> wrote in message All we're doing is what you could do yourself: read the help, read the
code, figure out what might work...

From reading the code in \public\common\oak\drivers\skinnableui, it
[...]

"David Robinson" <[email protected]>
[...]

i tried setting QVGA = 0 but its not working.are you sure its the same key?

Thank you,
Ramesh.B

Chris Tacke said:
[...]

From reading the code in \public\common\oak\drivers\skinnableui, it
[...]

I'm certain that's what it was on the device I was testing with with hte
specific OS build I was using. As with everything in CE, YMMV.

--

DOT com> wrote in message
All we're doing is what you could do yourself: read the help, read
the
code, figure out what might work...

From reading the code in \public\common\oak\drivers\skinnableui, it
[...]

i tried setting reg KEY QVGA = 0 in HKLM/EXPLORER but that has no
effect on button back color.can anyone provide any help about how to change
button back colour in .net compact framework?

Thank you,
with regards,
Ramesh.B

DOT com> wrote in message
All we're doing is what you could do yourself: read the help, read
the
code, figure out what might work...

From reading the code in \public\common\oak\drivers\skinnableui, it
[...]

I tried the same setting QVGA = 0 but that has no effect on button
back color.can anyone provide any help on how to change the button color in
..net compact framework?

Thank you,
with regards,
Ramesh.B

DOT com> wrote in message
All we're doing is what you could do yourself: read the help, read
the
code, figure out what might work...

From reading the code in \public\common\oak\drivers\skinnableui, it

DOT com> wrote in message
All we're doing is what you could do yourself: read the help, read
the
code, figure out what might work...

From reading the code in \public\common\oak\drivers\skinnableui, it