But I don't want a RAID, just a single SATA drive!

itemyar

This RAID business really has me confused, I don't want a RAID Array, I just
want a single bootable SATA drive, but everywhere I read, the word "RAID" is
always there and the instructions that came with my motherboard doesn't tell
me how to just simply install a SATA drive as my 'C' drive, it refers to all
this creating a RAID Array garbage. What does RAID have to do with SATA
anyway, aren't they two seperate things? i.e. SATA is a type of drive and
RAID is a way to use drives, maybe I'm confused about that too, but I don't
think so.

Can someone enlighten me on this?

My motherboard is an Asus A8N-SLI Premium and the hardisk I'll be using is a
Western Digital Raptor 74gig/16meg (it's on its' way)

I'll want to add another, larger capacity SATA drive later, but for now, I
just want to get my science project up and running.

Thanks,
Ray

John Doe

itemyar said:
This RAID business really has me confused, I don't want a RAID
Array, I just want a single bootable SATA drive,
My motherboard is an Asus A8N-SLI Premium and the hardisk I'll be
using is a Western Digital Raptor 74gig/16meg (it's on its' way)

I have the 37 GB version. I just connected the SATA cable (and
power) and started the machine?

When you get the hard drive:
Remove your hard drive. Install your new drive. Hook up the power
and data cables. Start the machine and press delete so that you stop
at the BIOS. Insert the Windows XP CD and close the door. If you
feel like it, check the basic BIOS settings to see if the drive has
been detected, but don't change anything. Restart and let the
Windows CD run until it gets to the part about formatting your hard
drive (yes, that means you ignore the Windows XP prompt about RAID).
And go from there.

Report back if you have any problems with the actual installation
after you get the drive.

Good luck.

itemyar

Thanks John, you make it sound simple, hope it turns out that way! This is
a new build, if that means anything? I think I read in the Asus
instructions that by default, RAID is enabled in the BIOS, won't I have to
disable it? Maybe I'm making a big deal over nothing, I'll know more when I
power it up for the first time; ugh I hate that, it's going to be more
stressful than my divorce.

Jan Alter

John Doe said:
I have the 37 GB version. I just connected the SATA cable (and
power) and started the machine?

When you get the hard drive:
Remove your hard drive. Install your new drive. Hook up the power
and data cables. Start the machine and press delete so that you stop
at the BIOS. Insert the Windows XP CD and close the door. If you
feel like it, check the basic BIOS settings to see if the drive has
been detected, but don't change anything. Restart and let the
Windows CD run until it gets to the part about formatting your hard
drive (yes, that means you ignore the Windows XP prompt about RAID).
And go from there.

Report back if you have any problems with the actual installation
after you get the drive.

Good luck.

Hi,

You're right in that SATA has nothing to do with RAID. One can create a
RAID array with or without SATA drives. And installing a SATA drive can be
as easy as using a PATA drive to problematic as having to install SATA
drivers during the XP installation, depending upon the mb you are using.
Some mbs are designed to pick up a SATA mb automatically (without installing
additional SATA drivers), while some have to have the mb look for it as a
SCSI drive. In some of the most common scenerios one goes to the bios and
sets the 0 hdd to be looked for as SCSI and then makes the first boot device
the CD-ROM.
Starting the computer with the XP install disk at this point, after
rebooting, one hits the F6 key very early on the XP installation, when asked
to have the SATA drivers for the mb available on a 3.5" floppy drive, either
supplied with the mb or found at the mb maker's website to allow Windows to
see the drive. Once the drivers are copied to the hdd Windows finds the hdd
and installs.
You may glean some insight by reading your mb manual or simply trying
each of the scenerios I mentioned above. As long as your mb has a SATA
controller onboard there should be little difficulty getting the mb and
Windows to recognize it for the installation.

Jan Alter
(e-mail address removed)

itemyar

Thanks Jan,

Well you sure wouldn't know it by reading my MB manual, everywhere SATA is
mentioned, RAID is right there with it, like the two are synonymous. I
suppose that it'll make more sense once I get down to doing it, I'm still
waiting for the rest of my parts, I just wanted to have some idea on how to
proceed once they arrive.

John Doe

An active (maybe nym shifting) troll from 24hoursupport.helpdesk or
alt.os.windows-xp or wherever.

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: But I don't want a RAID, just a single SATA drive!
From: John Holmes <nospam ****ithard.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 01:30:52 +0200 (CEST)

John Doe "contributed" in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Good luck.

That was the best help you offered in your ****witted poast.

Ben Dover

[...]

That is INcorrect. You do NOT need to install any drivers for an SATA
drive from F6 unless the drive is to be used in a RAID array. XP/SP2
recognizes SATA drives natively and will set them up just as it would an
IDE drive.

John - just put the drive in, connect as usual, and boot your system. The
drive will be there and you can format it as usual. Just check your BIOS
on initial boot to make sure SATA is enabled.

John Weiss

Ben Dover said:
That is INcorrect. You do NOT need to install any drivers for an SATA
drive from F6 unless the drive is to be used in a RAID array. XP/SP2
recognizes SATA drives natively and will set them up just as it would an
IDE drive.

John - just put the drive in, connect as usual, and boot your system. The
drive will be there and you can format it as usual. Just check your BIOS
on initial boot to make sure SATA is enabled.

Sorry, but your lack of experience may have prompted you to give bad advice...

SOME SATA controllers require the RAID drivers to be loaded even for a single
physical HD. That is because the controller sees a single HD as a "stripe set
on 1 physical drive" or somesuch. Even though the user does not "want" or even
implement RAID, the drivers are nevertheless required.

Anna

Ben Dover said:
That is INcorrect. You do NOT need to install any drivers for an SATA
drive from F6 unless the drive is to be used in a RAID array. XP/SP2
recognizes SATA drives natively and will set them up just as it would an
IDE drive.
John - just put the drive in, connect as usual, and boot your system. The
drive will be there and you can format it as usual. Just check your BIOS
on initial boot to make sure SATA is enabled.

Ben:
Jan Alter's comment re the possible need to install an appropriate SATA HD
driver when installing a SATA HD is *not* incorrect. Unfortunately, there
are a number of motherboards that require a SATA HD driver to be installed
even when a RAID array is not involved, e.g., when the user is simply
installing a single SATA HD. It is the motherboard's chipset that determines
whether such a driver will be necessary, the XP OS notwithstanding.

It is true that more & more of the chipsets being released have this
"built-in" capability of detecting a SATA HD without the need of an
auxiliary driver, but there are plenty of motherboards out there that do
require the SATA HD driver be installed. So I'm afraid we will have to put
up with that incredibly stupid "F6 routine" for some time to come.
Anna

Jan Alter

Anna said:
[...]

More and more newer mbs are now being manufactured to recognize the
SATA drive without the F6 driver installation, but many will require them
just for a single drive, even though not intended for a RAID array. Even if
you install the driver, and it is not needed, you are not required to set up
an array to make your single drive function properly.

Jan Alter