Burning problems

G

I have an interesting problem regarding burning in XP. The machine that has the problem has XP pro SP1.0a. It has intermittent burning problems. I've tested the burner in another machine and it works fine. The hardrive (of which there is only one) and the combo drive (DVDR/CDW) are on separate IDE channels. These are the only IDE devices in the computer. I've tested the motherboard and bought two new IDE cables. These are working fine. So I'm pretty sure it's an XP related problem.

Problem: The burner settings are set to MAX....To test I am only burning a 5MB file. I'm using CD-R to test and am assuming the windows uses ISO to burn. In which i think about 20MB will be used each burn. That should give me at least 30 burns of the same file. While testing the burner might work for up to ten times before it starts having problems. The problem occurs when I "write these files to disk", at this point it either works or it comes up with the error "the disk is full or the disk is not a CD-R". Once the problem occurs once, it occurs for every blank CD-R that I place in the drive. Even different brands. Now when I change the burn speed, it starts working again. Until the error comes up again. In which case I have to change the burn speed again. A turns into a vicous circle.

Does anyone know why this happens?

G

I think I know what the problem is.....Windows thinks that the disk is full....but it isn't...the disk hasn't been finalised or anything. Windows is having problems detecting how much free disk space there is......

how do you fix this?

M

Mike

Use Nero to burn cds, and use CDRWs to test with as they can be re-used..

zax said:
I have an interesting problem regarding burning in XP. The machine that
has the problem has XP pro SP1.0a. It has intermittent burning problems.
I've tested the burner in another machine and it works fine. The hardrive
(of which there is only one) and the combo drive (DVDR/CDW) are on separate
IDE channels. These are the only IDE devices in the computer. I've tested
the motherboard and bought two new IDE cables. These are working fine. So
I'm pretty sure it's an XP related problem.
Problem: The burner settings are set to MAX....To test I am only burning a
5MB file. I'm using CD-R to test and am assuming the windows uses ISO to
burn. In which i think about 20MB will be used each burn. That should give
me at least 30 burns of the same file. While testing the burner might work
for up to ten times before it starts having problems. The problem occurs
when I "write these files to disk", at this point it either works or it
comes up with the error "the disk is full or the disk is not a CD-R". Once
the problem occurs once, it occurs for every blank CD-R that I place in the
drive. Even different brands. Now when I change the burn speed, it starts
working again. Until the error comes up again. In which case I have to
change the burn speed again. A turns into a vicous circle.

Ask a Question