Browsing in Date Taken order?

Terry Pinnell

One strength of IrfanView (3.97) is that it can sort in 'EXIF date',
i.e Date/Time Taken, which is often my preferred sequence. Am I
correct that neither of these alternatives can do so?

FastStone Image Viewer
XnView
11View

Any other freeware that *can*?

Terry Pinnell

Terry Pinnell said:
One strength of IrfanView (3.97) is that it can sort in 'EXIF date',
i.e Date/Time Taken, which is often my preferred sequence. Am I
correct that neither of these alternatives can do so?

FastStone Image Viewer
XnView
11View

Any other freeware that *can*?

And I meant to ask a specific question: I can't figure out what
sequence the remaining files are in, i.e. the ones *without* EXIF
data.

At first sight, it seemed they are in Date order, but not so. I see
successive JPG thumbnails with dates that follow no apparent order.

Susan Bugher

Terry said:
One strength of IrfanView (3.97) is that it can sort in 'EXIF date',
i.e Date/Time Taken, which is often my preferred sequence. Am I
correct that neither of these alternatives can do so?

FastStone Image Viewer
XnView
11View

dunno. . .
Any other freeware that *can*?

Program: FotoAlbum
Author: FotoTime
W: LFW
Ware: v 3.4.1
http://www.themolezone.net/

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Terry said:
Thanks, Susan. Duly installed. Looks very interesting - I'll be a
while finding my way around it <g>.

It has a good help file. :) FWIW - I started out just using/abusing it -
didn't manage to break anything even though I was kind of trying. ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Terry Pinnell

Susan Bugher said:
It has a good help file. :) FWIW - I started out just using/abusing it -
didn't manage to break anything even though I was kind of trying. ;)

I've jumped straight into playing with it for half an hour. But a
couple of points immediately puzzle me:

- It doesn't appear to offer a sort to EXIF date (date taken, or what
the program seems to call Picture Date). The Sort button seems to
offer 'Sort by Date', and that gives me the File Date (or Modified
Date as I think it's called in Explorer).

- With it set to Sort by Date, the occasional MPG file seems to appear
out of order. Maybe other types too, haven't checked.

I do like it though. Especially that automatic thumbnail sizing.

Terry Pinnell

Terry Pinnell said:
I've jumped straight into playing with it for half an hour. But a
couple of points immediately puzzle me:

- It doesn't appear to offer a sort to EXIF date (date taken, or what
the program seems to call Picture Date). The Sort button seems to
offer 'Sort by Date', and that gives me the File Date (or Modified
Date as I think it's called in Explorer).

- With it set to Sort by Date, the occasional MPG file seems to appear
out of order. Maybe other types too, haven't checked.

I do like it though. Especially that automatic thumbnail sizing.

Minutes later I found the Filter button, and cursed my impatience! So
you *can* do an EXIF Date sort, just as you said <g>. Hey, that's
really neat.