Britain's Oldest Working TV

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Lovely story HERE

I like the mirror to reflect the image.

And the ten year wait. :D

Reaction score
:thumb:Nice one nivrip and a bit of history up for sale I hope that someone like the Science Museum is able to purchase it for the public to be able to see it rather a private collector.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
For 5,000 pounds today you could buy a top-of-the-range set with high definition, 3D, surround sound and more channels than you could ever watch.

Which would probably only last you 5 years LOL

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That's fantastic, I would love to own something like that even though it's virtually useles as no terrestrial signals being broadcast for that system anymore (probably 405 lines standard). No 'picture valve' used there (CRT) just a mirror.

Would love to see a circuit diagram for that thing.

The Brits have done well with TV technology. The Americans had colour TV before us but we waited, were a little more patient and scientists and technicians working in Hanover, Germany, developed the PAL system (Phase Alternate Line) which was (and still is) far superior to the American transmission mode.

Reaction score
Thanks EvanDavis.
that was really interesting.I just love the wooden cabinets that they came in,makes our ones all in high gloss plastic look tatty.
historian

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Yep, good link, Evan. Interesting to see the make up of those old sets. Hard to believe that they actually worked. :D

Reaction score
Thanks EvanDavis.
that was really interesting.I just love the wooden cabinets that they came in,makes our ones all in high gloss plastic look tatty.
historian

:DIn the 1960's I worked for a company called Civic long gone now and we had in one of the first colour HMV TV's on show. It was in a large teak cabinet with folding doors that covered the screen when not in use, when the doors wer shut it looked like a cocktail cabinet and more of a piece of furniture rather than a TV. When we sold it the sales staff were geed off because we couldn't watch the spasmodic test programs. :lol:

Last edited:

Ask a Question