Booting Problems

Jim

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop with Windows 2000 and
I'm having problems booting the computer. When I power up
it will start with the initial "Dell Computer - setup push
F2" screen and then go permanently to a blank screen with
a blinking cursor at the top left. Nothing happens when I
push the F2 button during the initial screen. Any help on
this would be greatly appreciated.

Franklin Huang

You may be experiencing a damaged MRB.

Try the command "fixmbr" from the Recovery Console as outlined in the KB229716.
Please also note the warning associated with this process.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229716

Best Regards,
Franklin Huang

Please reply to the newsgroup it allows others to benefit from these threads as well.

This Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
The views and opinions expressed here are purely personal and do not necessarily express the views and/or opinions of Microsoft.