Boot up problems after Windows update

Yesterday (30th July) I was notified of a new update and let it download and install. Unfortunately I didn't make a note of which update it was. It installed and restarted my system but on restarting it wouldn't open windows properly. It reached the blue "windows is now loading" screen and stopped. I left it several minutes and eventually after about 10 min it let me log in and started to give me the desktop but then completely stopped after putting up my desktop wallpaper. The mouse was still working so it hadn't frozen but nothing loaded no matter how long I left it. It would do this everytime I restarted my system. After much messing I managed to scedule a scandisk for the next restart and that seemed to help as I got back into windows. I have now tried doing a system restore to before putting the update on but it is just making the same problem again and I have to try to fix it all over again. I don't know what else to do to try to fix it so any suggestions would be welcomed. It seems to be running at the moment but I'm not convinced that everything is as it should be as I've been unable to revert back to before the stupid update.

Will Denny

Hi

See if you can use 'Last Known Good Configuration' by tapping F8 after areboot. If that doesn't work see if you can access Safe Mode - from the screen - to try a System Restore back to a date before the problem started.

I have already tried to system restore to a previous date. The one before putting on the update just slowed down and froze on startup again. I tried an earlier one to this also and system restore said it was "unable to restore to this date" after I rebooted. I don't seem to have the "last known good configuration" option if I press F8 during bootup.

Will Denny

Hi

'last known good configuration' should be on the same screen as Safe Mode. One of the last options towards the bottom of the screen. If you have that error message from System restore, it may be that one or more SRfiles have become corrupted. You can turn SR off/on, but that will mean loosing all existing checkpoints.

tyami

I have the same problem, just updated off of the Windows
update site and now can't get in at all. Stalls at a
screen that says "Sorry for the inconvenience..."
Tried "Last Known Good Configuration", safe mode,
F8...nothing is working. Help!!!
--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Sugar Junkie" <[email protected]>
wrote in message (e-mail address removed)...and let it download and install. Unfortunately I didn't
[...]

I think I managed to find out that the update I installed was KB867801. Now I've done a search of my computer and found no trace does this mean it has been removed? I'm also now getting the "new update available for download" message for this update. Obviously I'm not going to risk putting it on again but I'm not sure if I restart my system now is it going to restart ok? It seems to be working for the moment should I just leave alone and hope it's fixed itself?

Will Denny

Hi

Have look on the Windows Update under 'Installation History' to see if the Update was successful. Or you can have look in the Windows folder for the

$NtUninstallKB867801$

folder. The 'Installation History' option will tell you most. That Update may be at the top of the list.