Boot Sector Virus

g4v

Reaction score
I've got 2 seagate HD's here with Boot Sector Viruses.

I've tried plugging them into my main machine and running Norton over them, but it isn't finding anything wrong with them.

Then plug them back into their own machine and try to install Win98 (users request) but it crashes on install 'Boot Sector Virus detected: Continue Y/N'

Any ideas? I tried using the seagate util's but it doesn't do a low lever format?!? HELP:crazy:

Reaction score
you or someone booted the computer with a forgotten floppy in place maybe cos thats how its usually picked up whether its a bootable floppy or not you still get infected...i would suggest you try an online scan from Symantec/McAfee.....also here is a place that might be useful.........good luck

http://antivirus.about.com/library/blboot.htm

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It might not be a virus, Windows 98 install does modify the boot records. Try going into the BIOS on startup and disable boot sector prompts (or similar) and then re-install and re-enable in BIOS afterwards :)

Should work fine :)

Ask a Question