boot laptop with eSATA ExpressCard?

Timothy Daniels

Has anyone here booted a laptop using an external HD
connected via an eSATA ExpressCard? The ExpressCard
that I had been planning to use is this one by SIIG:
http://siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=SC-SAEE22-S1 .
But a call to SIIG indicates that the HD couldn't be used to
boot a laptop, only to hold data. Has anyone here had
better luck with this or any other eSATA ExpressCard?

*TimDaniels*

Rod Speed

Timothy Daniels said:
Has anyone here booted a laptop using an external HD
connected via an eSATA ExpressCard? The ExpressCard
that I had been planning to use is this one by SIIG:
http://siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=SC-SAEE22-S1 .
But a call to SIIG indicates that the HD couldn't be used to
boot a laptop, only to hold data. Has anyone here had
better luck with this or any other eSATA ExpressCard?

It aint just the card that matters, the laptop needs to be able
to specify that you want to boot off the drive on the card too.
That last isnt that common a capability at all.

Arno Wagner

Previously Timothy Daniels said:
Has anyone here booted a laptop using an external HD
connected via an eSATA ExpressCard? The ExpressCard
that I had been planning to use is this one by SIIG:
http://siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=SC-SAEE22-S1 .
But a call to SIIG indicates that the HD couldn't be used to
boot a laptop, only to hold data. Has anyone here had
better luck with this or any other eSATA ExpressCard?
*TimDaniels*

In principle these cards could be made bootable like
any other PCI Express HDD controller. I think you
should just look for one that claims to be bootable.

Arno

Timothy Daniels

Arno Wagner said:
In principle these cards could be made bootable like
any other PCI Express HDD controller. I think you
should just look for one that claims to be bootable.

Arno

IOW, the bootability lies with the ExpressCard and
not in the laptop's BIOS?

*TimDaniels*

Eric Gisin

Rod Speed said:
It aint just the card that matters, the laptop needs to be able
to specify that you want to boot off the drive on the card too.
That last isnt that common a capability at all.
There is the Int13 BIOS on the card, and
the boot select options in the system BIOS.
Are you saying the latter is not standard on laptops?

Arno Wagner

Previously Timothy Daniels said:
IOW, the bootability lies with the ExpressCard and
not in the laptop's BIOS?

The standard method is for the ExpressCard to have its
own BIOS, which ''hooks'' into the system BIOS. An alternate
(cheaper) method is to bring the card up in an IDE compatible
mode that the laptop BIOS handles. This second method often
does not work and does indeed depend on the laptop's BIOS.

Arno

Rod Speed

There is the Int13 BIOS on the card, and
the boot select options in the system BIOS.
Are you saying the latter is not standard on laptops?

Yep, nothing like standard on laptops.

Rod Speed

Timothy Daniels said:
Arno Wagner wrote
IOW, the bootability lies with the ExpressCard and not in the laptop's BIOS?

Its more complicated than that with a LAPTOP.

He doesnt appear to have noticed that you're talking about a laptop.

Folkert Rienstra

Rod Speed wrote in news:[email protected]
Its more complicated than that with a LAPTOP.

He doesnt appear to have noticed that you're talking about a laptop.

Which of course can't happen with a babblebot.
So he cooked up a story, as always.

fatmann66

To start i haven't messed with the eSATA ExpressCard that much but, it
sounds like you are running into the same issue that used to happen
with PCMCIA NIC card in laptops before they were integrated into the
MB. The issue was, on post the bay was never initialized because the
pc didn't have any native driver that could access the slot preboot.
So you could never do a PXE boot to a PCMCIA NIC. Once they integrated
the NIC to the MB you were then able to boot from NIC and USB etc.
this may be the case with your express card.
Regards,
fatmann66

P.S. Folkert Rienstra stated:
Which of course can't happen with a babblebot.
Why is it that all the posts I read today that you posted on you have
nothing constructive to say? You are always complaining about a poster
being a "babblebot" when if fact your post are the most worthless of
them all because they have nothing relevant to add to the conversation.

Rod Speed

fatmann66 said:
Folkert Rienstra stated
Why is it that all the posts I read today that you
posted on you have nothing constructive to say?

Because thats all he ever posts.
You are always complaining about a poster being a "babblebot"
when if fact your post are the most worthless of them all because
they have nothing relevant to add to the conversation.

He's just some loon kept in a padded cell that escapes from it occasionally.

Bud

And how is your response any different except for trolling for the
inevitable response this type of "question" always gets from the
resident trolls: Roddles, Odiferous and the Babblebot?

fatmann66 wrote