Blocked System Calls

G

I was wondering for all blocked system calls if they block the process or the thread in Windows and/or .NET framework

Blocked system calls generally stops a thread/process until a system call has finished executing. An example of this is reading from a file or acessing the hard disk. The process/thread would need to be blocked until the completion from reading or acessing the hard disk and then it would continue to execute the process/thread

My question comes down to a multithreaded app of course. In a single threaded app, blocking the process or thread would lead to the same efficiency. But for multithreaded apps, would a blocked system call, block the process or just the thread

If anyone has taken a course on Operating System theory, you might be familiar with the 3 states. Running, Ready, and Blocked and the flow from one to the other

Thanks

RAyRA
Huh O i C

G

Oh cool thanks a lot. I was expecting that, or else there would be no parallelism when blocking.

Also is there any place I can read about the technical documentations or under the hood of .NET? The inner workings of .NET, either on the web or a good book that talks about .NET framework in depth?

Ask a Question