block of quoted lines

ajlowndes

I have one of the Modules in my VBProject named "README". In it is
just helpfile data (i.e. no code at all), which I copy and paste to an
external notepad document when I roll out a new version. It includes
instructions for install, use, changelog and known issues.

To stop VB from trying to read this module content as code, I have to
start each and every line with a '. However that is annoying when I
am typing in new information, always trying to remember to place the '
there.

Instead, is there an option to change the module to non-code, or a
command I can put at the start that says "Ignore everything after
this"?

Ta

Rick Rothstein

This is not exactly what you asked for, but you might find it helpful
nonetheless. Go into the VB editor and right click View/Toolbars/Customize
on its menu bar, select the Commands tab on the dialog box that appears and
click the Edit item in the Categories listing on the left, then scroll the
Commands listing on the right until you find the "Comment Block" item...
drag and drop it onto Toolbar somewhere (and I would also do the same for
the "Uncomment Block" item as well). Close the dialog box. You can now
highlight multiple lines in your code window and click the "Comment Block"
button you just installed... all the lines you selected will become
commented out. Selecting multiple lines of comments and clicking the
"Uncomment Block" icon will remove the commenting. Another thing you can do
for 25 lines or less at a time is put an apostrophe in front of the first
line and use line continuation characters (space/underbar) at the end of
that line and each of the up to next 24 lines and the entire block will
become a comment. For example, this would appear as a comment block in a
code window...

'one two _
three four _
five six

although I would think remembering the continuation characters would be as
problematic for you as remembering the leading apostrophes.

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

"ajlowndes" wrote in message

I have one of the Modules in my VBProject named "README". In it is
just helpfile data (i.e. no code at all), which I copy and paste to an
external notepad document when I roll out a new version. It includes
instructions for install, use, changelog and known issues.

To stop VB from trying to read this module content as code, I have to
start each and every line with a '. However that is annoying when I
am typing in new information, always trying to remember to place the '
there.

Instead, is there an option to change the module to non-code, or a
command I can put at the start that says "Ignore everything after
this"?

Ta

GS

It happens that ajlowndes formulated :
I have one of the Modules in my VBProject named "README". In it is
just helpfile data (i.e. no code at all), which I copy and paste to an
external notepad document when I roll out a new version. It includes
instructions for install, use, changelog and known issues.

To stop VB from trying to read this module content as code, I have to
start each and every line with a '. However that is annoying when I
am typing in new information, always trying to remember to place the '
there.

Instead, is there an option to change the module to non-code, or a
command I can put at the start that says "Ignore everything after
this"?

Ta

Would something like this work for you...?

I do similar for some projects that get regular updates from the
client. I just put this directly into a readme.txt file that ships with
the update version and is opened with Notepad (or Wordpad if it's done
as readme.rtf) on first startup.

<FWIW>
The document contains all changes listed by each build#, with a "What's
New in this Release" section at the top. New data is always prepended
so it self-maintains as a crono log of the project changes/revisions.

Dave Peterson

If your project is associated with an xls (not addin) and it's intended to help
the users, why not just put the notes on a separate, dedicated worksheet?

It should make it easier for the users to find the notes and easier for you to
update.

I actually used an auto_open/workbook_open procedure that would select my
instructions sheet each time the workbook was opened.

It irritated a few users since they had to select the sheet(s) that did most the
work. But I could ask "Didn't you read the notes? It describes the newest
changes."

GS

Dave Peterson brought next idea :
If your project is associated with an xls (not addin) and it's intended to
help the users, why not just put the notes on a separate, dedicated
worksheet?

It should make it easier for the users to find the notes and easier for you
to update.

I actually used an auto_open/workbook_open procedure that would select my
instructions sheet each time the workbook was opened.

It irritated a few users since they had to select the sheet(s) that did most
the work. But I could ask "Didn't you read the notes? It describes the
newest changes."

Adding to your suggestion, I do have some projects where the notes are
stored on a hidden worksheet and are viewable via a Textbox/Combobox
configuration on a userform. This works as a simplistic help guide
where the worksheet has different named ranges for each 'topic' of the
guide.

I use this where the project doesn't warrant using a CHM. This will
display release notes on first startup only, leaving the user to
re-open the dialog at their convenience thereafter.