Bitlocker fails to install

Joerg Riether

Hi NG,

i just setup vista rtm ultimate (GER) on my amd 64x2 4600 dual core machine
with 4 gig of ram. used the gpo editor to set bitlocker to allow usb key
instead of tpm, all fine. Created 1500Gig Partition, set this to active
(with copied boot stuff) and startet vista. Et voila:Bitllocker lets me
install. Fine so far, i configured everything, restartet machine and voila
again: my BIOS can handle it and vista bootoader sees the usb key and the
therein stored password, booting, starting, saying "your hd is being
encrypted...0%" in the taskbar. Wow. Waited for 3 hours...still at 0%.
Restarted...same message. Same waiting time. Nothing happened. cpu cauge all
at 0%, hdd cauge at all 0% so I guess bitlocker does nothing with my hdd.

NOW i figured out to do this all again but this time when activating
Bitlocker in Vista don´t set the checkbox where you can verify the usb read
capability of vista bootloader. And voila, I got an error indicating that i
"have not enough free space to install bitlocker". Wow. My Boot Partition
has 150Gig, 20 used. My BL Partition has 1.5 Gig, nothing used. Hmmm. OK I´m
a researcher;) just killed the BL Partition and created one with 5 Gig.
Maybe Bitlocker would like this one more? Result: Nope! Same effect.

Any ideas??

best regards
Joerg

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Joerg,
How were the drives configured? What order is each drive in?
Both NTFS I presume?
How large is the USB key?
Can we get some more information about the hardware on the system?
In particular abut all the drives, drive letters, partitioning and
formating.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Joerg Riether" <[email protected]>
<Subject: Bitlocker fails to install
<Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:00:45 +0100
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<Hi NG,
<
[...]

Hello Darrel,

Only one HDD. Drive has 150 Gig (WD Raptor). Vista is first partition, holds
145 Gig, The BL Partition is second, holds 5 Gig.
Do you suggest to try a clean install where the BL Partition comes at first?

The USB Stick has 8 Gigs free;) Guess this is enough. AND ofcourse Vista
Boootloader finds the usb key at boot and says it verified it OK as i
mentoined in my posting.

Hardware Infos:

Vista Partition (c:) ntfs, standard cluster
DVD (d:)
BL Partition (e:) ntfs, standard cluster

HDD is configured as basic, not dynamic (shouln´t be a problem according the
BL docu).

Hope you can help me and thanks a lot for answering.

best regards
Joerg

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Joerg,
How were the drives configured? What order is each drive in?
Both NTFS I presume?
How large is the USB key?
Can we get some more information about the hardware on the system?
In particular abut all the drives, drive letters, partitioning and
formating.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Joerg Riether" <[email protected]>
<Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 11:00:45 +0100
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<Hi NG,
<
[...]

Everything looks to be correct.
The partitions are in the correct order. E is the active partition
correct? With the boot files on it?
5 gig is more than enough
how big is the usb stick? You state that it has 8 gig free but how big is
the stick?
It only needs a little space on the usb stick, a meg or two should be
enough, but I wonder if the large memory stick is confusing it.
THe system is not reporting the memory stick or USB drives as hard drives
is it?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Joerg Riether

Hello Darrel,

its a 16Gig Adata myflash (new series). Stick is recognized as usb stick,
not as harddrive. BUT Bitlocker says during install usb stick found and key
saved successful. So I wonder if this maybe the reason. Should I try with a
2 gig stick? I´d have one with which i could try.

best regards
Joerg

Joerg Riether

oops i forgot to mention:
YES e: is the active partition, with the boot files on it.

best regards
Joerg

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello Joerg,
Everything looks to be correct.
The partitions are in the correct order. E is the active partition
correct? With the boot files on it?
5 gig is more than enough
how big is the usb stick? You state that it has 8 gig free but how big
is
the stick?
It only needs a little space on the usb stick, a meg or two should be
enough, but I wonder if the large memory stick is confusing it.
THe system is not reporting the memory stick or USB drives as hard drives
is it?
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

rights