Bitlocker black screen after reboot

mister.jones

Hello!
I have a problem with Bitlocker: after the first restart (system check
before encryption) the screen stays black. No error message, no boot screen,
nothing.
This is what I did:
1. Allow Bitlocker without TPM (via gpedit.msc)
2. Use Bitlocker Drive Preparation Tool to create a new partition.
3. Use the Bitlocker control panel to configure encryption.
4. Reboot when reuired to do so for the system check.
Result: Black screen after BIOS POST screens. No message at all.
Ctrl-Alt-Del does work, nothing else.

The only way to repair was to boot from the Windows DVD and do a startup
repair.

My configuration is as follows:
- ABit AB9Pro board (latest BIOS) with the following onboard controllers:
. Intel ICH8R (2 RAID arrays containing boot-volume, 2 non-RAID disks)
. JMicron JMB363 in AHCI mode (1 HD SATA, 1 HD PATA, 1 CD-ROM PATA)
. Silicon Image 3132 (1 CD-ROM SATA)

Is there anything I am doing wrong here? Anyone got Bitlocker running with a
similar configuration?

Thanks,
mister.jones

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Jones,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on your symptom, I suspect this similar issue may be caused by the
incompatible BIOS or hardware environment. For more detailed requirements
for BitLocker, please refer to:
Windows Vista BitLocker Client Platform Requirements
http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/f/7/af7777e5-7dcd-4800-8a0a-b183365
65f5b/BitLockerReq.doc

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Bitlocker black screen after reboot
| Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 04:22:57 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
|
| Hello!
| I have a problem with Bitlocker: after the first restart (system check
| before encryption) the screen stays black. No error message, no boot
screen,
| nothing.
| This is what I did:
| 1. Allow Bitlocker without TPM (via gpedit.msc)
| 2. Use Bitlocker Drive Preparation Tool to create a new partition.
| 3. Use the Bitlocker control panel to configure encryption.
| 4. Reboot when reuired to do so for the system check.
| Result: Black screen after BIOS POST screens. No message at all.
| Ctrl-Alt-Del does work, nothing else.
|
| The only way to repair was to boot from the Windows DVD and do a startup
| repair.
|
| My configuration is as follows:
| - ABit AB9Pro board (latest BIOS) with the following onboard controllers:
| . Intel ICH8R (2 RAID arrays containing boot-volume, 2 non-RAID disks)
| . JMicron JMB363 in AHCI mode (1 HD SATA, 1 HD PATA, 1 CD-ROM PATA)
| . Silicon Image 3132 (1 CD-ROM SATA)
|
| Is there anything I am doing wrong here? Anyone got Bitlocker running
with a
| similar configuration?
|
| Thanks,
| mister.jones

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hi Jones,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: (e-mail address removed) ("Ken Zhao [MSFT]")
| Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 09:20:08 GMT
| Subject: RE: Bitlocker black screen after reboot
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
|
| Hello Jones,
|
| Thank you for using newsgroup!
|
| Based on your symptom, I suspect this similar issue may be caused by the
| incompatible BIOS or hardware environment. For more detailed requirements
| for BitLocker, please refer to:
| Windows Vista BitLocker Client Platform Requirements

http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/f/7/af7777e5-7dcd-4800-8a0a-b183365
| 65f5b/BitLockerReq.doc
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| ====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| ====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "mister.jones" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Bitlocker black screen after reboot
| | Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 04:22:57 +0200
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
| |
| | Hello!
| | I have a problem with Bitlocker: after the first restart (system check
| | before encryption) the screen stays black. No error message, no boot
| screen,
| | nothing.
| | This is what I did:
| | 1. Allow Bitlocker without TPM (via gpedit.msc)
| | 2. Use Bitlocker Drive Preparation Tool to create a new partition.
| | 3. Use the Bitlocker control panel to configure encryption.
| | 4. Reboot when reuired to do so for the system check.
| | Result: Black screen after BIOS POST screens. No message at all.
| | Ctrl-Alt-Del does work, nothing else.
| |
| | The only way to repair was to boot from the Windows DVD and do a
startup
| | repair.
| |
| | My configuration is as follows:
| | - ABit AB9Pro board (latest BIOS) with the following onboard
controllers:
| | . Intel ICH8R (2 RAID arrays containing boot-volume, 2 non-RAID disks)
| | . JMicron JMB363 in AHCI mode (1 HD SATA, 1 HD PATA, 1 CD-ROM PATA)
| | . Silicon Image 3132 (1 CD-ROM SATA)
| |
| | Is there anything I am doing wrong here? Anyone got Bitlocker running
| with a
| | similar configuration?
| |
| | Thanks,
| | mister.jones
| |
| |
| |
| |

mister.jones

Thanks Ken, for coming back to this issue. I looked at the document on
Bitlocker you pointed me to. Most of it is about TPM requirements. However,
I want to run Bitlocker without TPM, which is possible when this feature is
activated in Group Policy.
I suppose rather that Bitlocker is not finding the right harddisk. Because
there are three controllers and six disks, I suppose the Bitlocker's
bootcode gets confused. What startles me is that it does not even give out
an error message.
Best regards
mister.jones