Big flaw in IE demonstrated by this test....

LuckyStrike

Saw this at another MS Newsgroup, and was quite shocked.

This below is a copy/paste of that post:
From: "Cnews-ms" <[email protected]>
Subject: Test your IE browser for serious vulnerabilty
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 18:13:46 -0500

<paste>
If you must continue using IE please go to the site below. I am concerned
because I applied the Microsoft Fix today, rebooted and IE still failed the
test. Mozilla and Firefox passed.
see for yourself . test
http://secunia.com/multiple_browsers_frame_injection_vulnerability_test/

CR
--
http://QLiner.com
</paste>

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

LuckyStrike

I should add that I see there *is a solution* to this for IE6 SP-1 (fully
patched including today's WU Critical security patch - Critical Update for
Microsoft Data Access Components - Disable ADODB.Stream object from Internet
Explorer - Win9x - KB870669 .

Internet Explorer Frame Injection Vulnerability
http://secunia.com/advisories/11966

The above article offers this as a solution:
1) Disable the following security setting: "Navigate sub-frames across
different domains".

It also states the obvious: Do not visit or follow links from untrusted
websites.

So I would guess there is no need to run out and get Firefox as the *only*
solution for this.
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

when's the next hole in ie going to open up. might as well
use firefox (mozilla.org)and be more secure with open
source. and no hijackers or popups .

LuckyStrike

Just might do that... but will wait until a "finalized" version is available
beyond 0.9.1. Shouldn't be too far off if their development team is on the
case.

As a rule, I don't experience hijackers or pop-ups. Aside from just now
disabling "navigate sub-frames...", I've never gotten the other stuff as my
browser has been not set to duh-fault. Scripting and ActiveX are
disabled...just as in Firefox.