Windows Vista Bidirectional communication with Canon iP4500 printer OK with XP but not Vista

Reaction score
Bidirectional communication with Canon iP4500 printer OK with Windows XP but not possible with Vista.

Problem: I need to be able to view the printer status window but the "Enable Bidirectional Communication" box is greyed out. (This problem did not occur on my old pc)

More details: (sorry if it's a bit long-winded)

I bought this pc 10 days ago and other than the printer problem everything is fine.
I'm getting used to Vista and it's funny little ways.
I've managed to easily overcome compatibility issues with all my favourite ten year old software (Microsoft Office Professional 97, Power Publisher, Paint Shop Pro and others).

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor]
500+ 2.60 GHz
2GB RAM
360 GB hard disk
32 bit operating system

Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1
running Kaspersky Internet Security
broadband ADSL

The Canon iP4500 printer is about 5 - 6 months old and is working fine.
Until 10 days ago, it was installed on a 6yr old old pc running Windows XP. The pc was networked (cable) to an even older laptop (10yrs+) also running Windows XP. It was possible to view the printer status from both computers - ink level, paper out etc.

I have since installed the same printer on my new pc (10 days ago) and I cannot view the printer status at all "Cannot communicate with the printer.
Turn Enable bi-directional support on in the printer's Properties dialog box."
Well, the "Enable bi-directional support" box is greyed out and cannot be checked. How do I turn this ability on?
This was never an issue with Windows XP?

Both on the old pc and the new pc, the printer was connected via USB.

The printer does not appear to be at fault. I have checked by re-installing the printer on my old PC (Windows XP) and the printer status pops up automatically when I try to print. (I've de-installed it now - I only need it on one machine.)

Summary:
How do I get to view the printer status? Could this be a driver problem or is it one of the "improved" features of Vista?

Reaction score
Download the latest driver from Canon support (ip4500svst211ea24) and install it according to instructions. Hope this helps.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Was waiting for the spam...

You need your bumps felt mate, that ain't spam, just a link to some tech help at Canon's site.

I suggest you drink a glass of water and lie down for ten minutes.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
You need your bumps felt mate, that ain't spam, just a link to some tech help at Canon's site.

I suggest you drink a glass of water and lie down for ten minutes.

Yes Dr Flopps

Reaction score
Don't know whether you've sorted this, but I had same problem (tho' Windows 7 + Pixma iP4500) and just stumbled on solution which worked for me.
In Printer properties --> Sharing Tab --> Printer not shared. Uncheck "Share this printer". Also Uncheck "Render print jobs on client computers"
Advanced Tab --> Drivers. There were 2 drivers listed:
1. Canon iP4500 (which was being used and I was having problem with)
2. Canon Inkjet 4500 series.
I don't know whether this 2nd driver was already there, or if it has appeared since I downloaded new software (driver) from Canon: aomwin200ea24.exe
Canon say this extends functionality of the driver shipped with windows 7, I installed it and it didn't fix the problem
Changing the driver to Canon Inkjet 4500 series in this advanced tab has fixed it.

Reaction score
I had this problem with my Canon MP610 after upgrading to Windows 7. Solved the problem as follows:-

Click Start, Devices and Printers.
Right-click your printer icon and select 'Printer Properties'.
Click on Ports and make sure there is a tick in 'Enable bidirectional support' near bottom of page.
Click OK.

This got rid of the 'bidirectional' error message and also restored the ink status information which was also missing.

Hope this helps

Reaction score
hlsathaven, thanks for your input and how you resolved the issue.:thumb:
But the thread is 24/18months old! :p

Ask a Question