Better HDD cooling by contact with case or open to air?

~misfit~

Somewhere said:
"Rod Speed" snarled:

Kony said that the rack *felt* colder than the ambient
room air. That means that his finger got cold faster from
touching the HD rack than touching the room air - totally
explainable by the better heat conduction afforded by
metal than by gases. That's why fingers aren't good
measurers of temperature - most of the nerves are embedded
within the finger and not at its surface, so the nerves measure
the temperature of the interior of the finger. Of more significance
would be whether the rack felt colder than the case (probably
not).

I'll say one thing in Rod Speed's favour; He doesn't nymshift like most
morons. I killfiled him years ago and he's still killfiled as I migrate my
killfile from one machine to the next. (Blocked Senders.reg, gotta love it.)
I give him credit for that. Shame he knows jack about hardware though and
insists on displaying it.

Thanks to Kony and Timothy for keeping him honest and letting other posters
know he talks through his arse. I don't have the patience for it myself.
<tips hat>

Trent

I'll say one thing in Rod Speed's favour; He doesn't nymshift like most
morons.

Yes, he does:
"Fred" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Subject: Re: Using laptop HD on desktop, no power felt.
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:27:14 +1000
killfile from one machine to the next.

ObAOL: Me too.

Arno

I've only inspected Maxtor hard drives closely, but all
the Maxtor drives that I've seen have raised bosses
around the screw holes. They are so low that one has
feel them with a finger nail to be sure they're there, but
they *are* there, and they make a small air gap between
the body of the drive and the HD cage. That means
that by metal-to-metal conduction, the bosses and the
mounting screws transfer more heat to the cage than the
sides of the HD.

Well, the contact areas around the screws do also transfer
a lot. In practive the heat transfer to the sides (if screwed
in propperly to a metal surface) is significant. You also
have to remember that a HDD does not generate that much
heat, but also does not radiate a lot because of its flat
surface.

Arno

JR Weiss

Timothy Daniels said:
OK, I guess your bottom line is that most HD cooling
is done by air flowing over the HD's surfaces, and that
adequate air flow is forced by a fan, and not by convection,
right?

Technically, any heat transfer by movement of a fluid (air) is convection,
whether forced or natural...

A heat sink transfers heat from the source via conduction, and the heat is
(in context) removed from the heat sink via convection. This holds true for
dedicated heat sinks on CPUs & GPUs as well as any secondary transfer
through a metal case.

Rod Speed

kony wrote
Yep.

you are talking about convection by air,

Wrong. That doesnt produce the cage warmest where the drive is screwed in.
in which situation the drive rack causes the drive
to run HOTTER than if it weren't in the system at all

Only in your pathetic little pig ignorant fantasyland. Its completely trivial
to monitor the SMART temp and prove that thats a pig ignorant lie.

In spades with the drives that get very hot when run loose on the desktop.
so the rack is not 'sinking away any heat at all, it is impeding the movement of heated air.

Only in your pathetic little pig ignorant fantasyland.

Have fun explaining how come the drives that get very hot
when run loose on the desktop dont get as hot when screwed
into the cage with no fan at all and the sides off the case.

Keep desperately digging, you'll be out in china any day now.

Rod Speed

kony said:
kony said:
[....] some who are new to computer cooling are
better off learning it right than repeating urban myths.

OK, I guess your bottom line is that most HD cooling
is done by air flowing over the HD's surfaces, and that
adequate air flow is forced by a fan, and not by convection,
right?
It's certainly by convection to air, as much as to the HDD rack
due to the much greater surface area exposed to the air.

That isnt going to make the cage adjacent to the drive
hotter than the cage further away from the drive, fool.
Then we drift into gray areas as to whether it's totally
convection when the fan is elsewhere in the system

Nope, not when the cage can be measured
to be hotter than the rest of the case.
since only a hypothetically closed system
really has stagnant air without a heat gradient.
To whatever extend we have increased airflow past the drive
by a fan, this helps even more (if the drive needed more cooling).

Pity about when there is no fan at all and the case cover is left off.

Oddly enough, thats how I run my systems. The drive temps are fine.

Rod Speed

Some gutless drug crazed ****wit desperately cowering behind
kony wrote just what you'd expect from a pathetic little drug crazed ****wit
that doesnt have even the most basic clue about the most basic physics.

Rod Speed

Some gutless drug crazed ****wit desperately cowering behind
kony wrote just what you'd expect from a pathetic little drug crazed ****wit
that doesnt have even the most basic clue about the most basic physics.

Rod Speed

Some gutless drug crazed ****wit desperately cowering behind
kony wrote just what you'd expect from a pathetic little drug crazed ****wit
that doesnt have even the most basic clue about the most basic physics.

Rod Speed

Some gutless drug crazed ****wit desperately cowering behind
kony wrote just what you'd expect from a pathetic little drug crazed ****wit
that doesnt have even the most basic clue about the most basic physics.

~misfit~

Somewhere said:
Yes, he does:
"Fred" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 19:27:14 +1000

Oh. So the rest of the clown posts are likely him as well? :-(
ObAOL: Me too.

Heh! An oldy but a goodie.

Cheers,

JR Weiss

kony said:
So you concede that my example had a parallel to your logic
that you can't dispute.

Sorry, but you lose that one. rodless demonstrated NO logic whatsoever!