Best way to send a multipage fax.

James Silverton

Hello All!

The Help instructions for sending a fax are "to fax a document, create
or open it in a Windows-based application and print to a fax printer".
This works well enough for pre-existing documents but what is the most
efficient way to fax a multipage document using a scanner?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Email, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Milt

James,

Try making a folder in My Pictures. Name it something like Fax To Joe.
Scan each page of the fax and save it to that folder. Then when you open your
fax utility, go to that folder and select all of the pictures. Now you can
send them all in a single fax.

Milt

James Silverton

Milt wrote on Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:29:01 -0700:
Try making a folder in My Pictures. Name it something
like Fax To Joe. Scan each page of the fax and save it to that
folder. Then when you open your fax utility, go to that folder
and select all of the pictures. Now you can send them all in a
single fax.

"James Silverton" wrote:

Thanks, I think I have been doing something like that but I wondered if
I could semi-automate the process especially when a scanner has a
document feeder. I don't send faxes all that often and multipage ones
are very infrequent but I wondered.

Incidentally, it's probably OT but scanners with feeders have a tendency
to jam and I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for a reliable
machine?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Milt

James,

If you're using a stand alone scanner and a separate software Fax, I
don't think you can automate it. You'll have to read your manuals to find
out.

As to recommendations, there are lot's of stand alone Fax machines that
are very inexpensive. Most can send multipage. I'd stay away from Brother
though. I used to use an all in one Lexmark. It had a single sheet scanner
and a software Fax program. It worked fine. Before that I just used
Microsoft's software Fax and a stand alone scanner.

In both cases, I did multiple pages as described above. But now I have
a Cannon MX 700. It has document feeder and built in fax. It can send
multi-page fax's from the feeder and doesn't rely on the computer for sending
or receiving Fax's. I've seen the Cannon MX 700 on sale for about $98.00
lately. I paid a lot more than that for it. I find it a very good all in one.
Mine works well. I'd recommend the Cannon.

Milt

James Silverton

Milt wrote on Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:38:00 -0700:
[...]

Thanks, that's useful information! I'm a bit strapped for countertop
space and I use my scanner mostly for editing and restoring photographs
so I want as high resolution as practical. The Canon D1250 scanner
actually lives on top of the full size computer console where it fits
quite well after I attached some stick-on rubber feet! There are an
amazing number of family pictures around that have faded. Either
Printshop or Photoshop Elements seem to do restoration rather well. It
might be best to work on the negatives but there is no longer any real
organization to them.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

db.·.. >

some scanners can be initiated
with applications like
"microsoft document scanning".

if you have msoffice installed
then you can try to look here
to open it.

'C:\Documents and
Settings\All_Users\Start
Menu\Programs\Microsoft
Office\Microsoft Office Tools'

then with it you can scan
individual pages into a single
file.

also if i am not mistaken you
can use applications like
"acrobat full version" to scan
multiple pages into a single
pdf file.

it basically does the same
thing
as ms document scanner, just
with a different file format.

afterward simply print that
one
file to your fax printer
connection.

incidentally if the scanner is
one
of those multi-page scanners,
then you can likely press the
print key and it will scan all
the pages into a single file,
then save that file and print
it to fax.

there is no easy way around
the above using a standard
scanning device. it is simply
a convenience that doesn't
require an external fax
machine. but i have one
anyways.

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

"James Silverton"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

James Silverton

wrote on Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:16:38 -0500:
if you have msoffice installed
then you can try to look here
to open it.
'C:\Documents and
Settings\All_Users\Start
Menu\Programs\Microsoft
Office\Microsoft Office Tools'
then with it you can scan
individual pages into a single
file.

Now that *is* useful! Thanks very much. There is an option in MS Office
Document Scanning to prompt for additional pages when I use it.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

James Silverton

Now that *is* useful! Thanks very much. There is an option in MS
Office Document Scanning to prompt for additional pages
when I use it. --

May I just add to remind myself and also anyone else who may use this
method, checking "View Page after Scanning" gives control over the name
used to save the file and also allows immediate use of the Fax Wizard if
the Fax has been set up as a printer choice.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland