Best Practice for setting service boot status

M

MARTIN SPENCE

Quick question. I have several services that I need to be disabled in my runtime image. Should I write a runonce script that sets the services as disabled during FBA? Would that be the right approach? I have tried removing some of the services but they come back during dependency check. The services are:

Windows User Mode Driver Framework
Windows Firewall
Windows Time
Automatic Updates
Error Reporting
Security Center
System Restore
Task Scheduler
Themes

Thanks

K

KM

You can definitely use utilities like net.exe (stop) or sc.exe to manipulate the service statuses at run time.

However, if you really want to disable (remove) those services you can turn off Auto-Dependency Resolving option in TD (Option dialog) and leave with the errors in the build log where it is trying to add those services as dependencies of other components in the image.

--
=========
Regards,
KM

Quick question. I have several services that I need to be disabled in my runtime image. Should I write a runonce script that sets the services as disabled during FBA? Would that be the right approach? I have tried removing some of the services but they come back during dependency check. The services are:

Windows Firewall
Windows Time
Automatic Updates
Error Reporting
Security Center
System Restore
Task Scheduler
Themes

Thanks

M

MARTIN SPENCE

Thanks - I had the light bulb go off - the only two that I cannot either eliminate from the image are Windows time and Themes. I'll use SC or something similar.

--
MARTIN SPENCE
You can definitely use utilities like net.exe (stop) or sc.exe to manipulate the service statuses at run time.

However, if you really want to disable (remove) those services you can turn off Auto-Dependency Resolving option in TD (Option dialog) and leave with the errors in the build log where it is trying to add those services as dependencies of other components in the image.

--
=========
Regards,
KM

Windows Firewall
Windows Time
Automatic Updates
Error Reporting
Security Center
System Restore
Task Scheduler
Themes

Thanks

Ask a Question