Best Free Windows 9X Redialer?

kenitholson

I am still using Windows 9X with a 56K modem mainly for email, text
searches and file downloads.

When downloading files may leave the PC unattended for a few minutes
and sometimes the connection may be dropped when I was away. I am
using a download manager so normally the download can be restarted OK.

Appreciate any suggestions as how to setup my Windows 9X ( am using
both Windows 98 2nd ed and Windows ME on 3 older PCs) so to
automatically redial when the connection is lost or the best additional
Free software to do this if Windows 9X can't. I have done a few
searches and have found shareware but so far no Free apps.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=windows+9x+auto+redialing+56k+dialup&btnG=Google

I also checked my Windows DialUp Networking settings and have dial
automatically... but if disconnected will not automatically reconnect
so am guessing I need something more.

Ken

Bill Miller

Appreciate any suggestions as how to setup my Windows 9X ( am using
both Windows 98 2nd ed and Windows ME on 3 older PCs) so to
automatically redial when the connection is lost or the best additional
Free software to do this if Windows 9X can't. I have done a few
searches and have found shareware but so far no Free apps.<

When I had Win95 I used this program. DUNCE v2.52

http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_5_54_412.html

Susan Bugher

Bill said:
both Windows 98 2nd ed and Windows ME on 3 older PCs) so to
automatically redial when the connection is lost or the best additional
Free software to do this if Windows 9X can't. I have done a few
searches and have found shareware but so far no Free apps.<
When I had Win95 I used this program. DUNCE v2.52

http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_5_54_412.html

http://www.vecdev.com/dunce252.zip didn't work for me. . .

from the ACF pages:

Program: Dunce
Author: Vector Development
W: LFW
Ware: (Freeware) (free for personal use) v 2.52
http://ftp.halcyon.com/pub/internet/win95/dunce252.zip

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

kenitholson

Bill,

Thanks for the recommendation! Do you have any tips on using this
software? Tried to download DUNCE but did not work as Susan said.

Susan,

Thanks for finding a working download for DUNCE!! I even did a search
but all the downloads did not work.

Can you share with us how you found a working one?

Thanks
]
Ken

Susan Bugher

Thanks for finding a working download for DUNCE!! I even did a search
but all the downloads did not work.

Can you share with us how you found a working one?

Sure. :) *Most* links on the ACF pages come from posts made by other ACF
participants. This was an exception. I knew the old link had gone sour
and all it took was a quick FTP search to find a good link. This page
lists some FTP search engines:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/SearchTips.php

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Bill Miller

I didn't try that address, it was on an old floppy I had. I searched all
over the net, and it looks like the freeware ones have broken links.
Sorry it wont work.

Bill Miller

I found this, have never tried it.

CiDial License: Freeware

CiDial will automatically redial a specified Dial-Up Networking
connection until your computer is connected to the Internet then monitor
the connection and automatically reconnect if the connection is lost.
CiDial can be used instead of the standard Windows dialer, but
installing and using CiDial does not affect your Windows installation or
dialer.CiDial is free and does not display advertising banners.

Author: Aldensoft Software| Date: 7-11-2001 | Size: 122 KB

http://www.dirfile.com/freeware/redial.htm

Susan Bugher

Bill said:

erm. . . that's another dead end.
http://www.aldensoft.com/ *DEAD

Note: this app *isn't* on the ACF pages. . .

Program: CiDial
Author: Aldensoft Software
Install:
W: LFW