Best approach

S

Shawn Ferguson

Hello All,

Before I starting writing the code, I would like to figure out what the best approach to this problem would be. I want to create a process that imports a text file (Pipe | delimited), then after looping through the entire file, puts each field into a SQL Server database. The text file is exported from a different system, then I download it via FTP to process the data for the proposed system. Currently, I used DTS to process the data, but the user wants more control outside of DTS.

Initially, I thought of creating a data table, parsing out the individual fields, then writing the data table to the database. The problems I see are :
- the file is 80K has over 200,000 records, so looping seems resource intensive for an ASP.nET page
- file must reside on a virtual directory

One other thought was to create a webservice that would consume the file and automatically import it into the database, is this reasonable for a file that size, how would I go about doing this?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks ahead of time!

Ask a Question