Beginner needs help with securing db and distributing

G

I have created a database and now need to secure and distribute to 12 users.

I have split the db and have two versions of the FE. I do not how the best
way to secure and distribute.

Please help!!

S

Scott McDaniel

I have created a database and now need to secure and distribute to 12 users.

I have split the db and have two versions of the FE. I do not how the best
way to secure and distribute.

As far as security is concerned, you've got a couple of options:

Startup Options - very simple to implement, and provides a "can't see it" type of security. These options hide much of
the interface from the user, so they aren't tempted to just click on a button to see what it does. Easily circumvented
by users importing your objects to a new database.

Database Password - Simple to implement, but easily cracked.

User Level Security - much more difficult ot implement, but the best method available to protect your data. ULS is still
NOT considered to be extremely secure. A quick search for "access password crack" will show you why.

Roll Your Own - situation where you build your own tables, login screens, you handle permissions based on user/group and
object, etc etc. Lless secure to implement, level of difficulty varies depending on how intricate your security needs
are.

When you distribute, you'd want to compile your FE to the .mde format to protect your forms/modules/reports. Doing this
removes the design capabilities from the file. Note that it does not prevent users from viewing/importing your tables.

Depending on the complexity of your application, your end user base, whether you've used ActiveX controls etc etc, then
deployment can be as simple as a Zip file attached to an email, up to a full blown commercial installation built with a
true installer (Wise, Installshield, etc). Distribution can be a real headache, but with only 12 users you should be
able to get through it fairly easily.

Please post back for more clarification.

Please help!!

Scott McDaniel
scott@takemeout_infotrakker.com
www.infotrakker.com

Ask a Question