Windows 7 BCCodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have recently purchased an HP G62-340US Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit machine, which has been crashing sporadically. This is the second of these machines I've had - returning the first one after it started crashing on day 2. This one didn't start until day 11. For each of the 6 crashes I retrieved the following information from Windows.
Problem signature

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem

BCCode: 7f

BCP1: 0000000000000008

BCP2: 0000000080050033

BCP3: 00000000000006F8

BCP4: FFFFF80002CC2D91

OS Version: 6_1_7600

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 768_1

The messages are the same except for the last 5 digits in the BCP4 line. Can anyone decipher this and tell me what the problem is? Thanks. Bill Steiner

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCReview

RTM :thumb:

:user:

return to manufacturer :nod:

Reaction score
I'm not sure if that is serious or not?!? It crashed again today.
Memory and hard drive checks are ok. HP will only replace the machine if there is a hardware problem. And to determine if there is a hardware problem they want to wipe the computer clean and start over, which of course is a total pain, plus I have to wait for days to see if it is working properly installing no software and essentially having a useless machine.

Still hoping for some help!

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
bill steiner said:
I'm not sure if that is serious or not?!? It crashed again today.
!

As Muckshifter said RTM. This is your second laptop from them and its already crashed 6 times. I have had the same computer for 6 years and its never crashed.
Yur laptop is under warrenty so take it back. Make use of the warrenty. As soon as you start playing around with it trying to fix things, that gives sellers amo not to honour your warrenty. They will start saying its crashing because you did something to the laptop.
So there you have it. Take it back.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
A computer manufacturer such as HP will not simply take the unit back. I speak from experience on this. Crashing computers can be a pain, for sure. If you purchased the machine from a major retailer, perhaps you can work to get the unit returned. If it is outside of the "return policy" for that company, you are probably "stuck" with it.

Many major manufacturers of machines will install a lot of specific software to provide tools and the like to the user and over-the-phone techs in order to resolve issues. Most of the time, the system is just laden down with useless crap that you won't use as a typical end user.

First, check to see if there is a particular pattern to your failure. For example, if you click on Internet Explorer and the unit crashes each time, then you may have an issue with Internet Explorer. 3rd party programs (programs installed AFTER Windows is installed: that includes MS Office and the like) can cause compatibility issues. 64-bit systems are not the mainstream yet and therefore WILL have software compatibility issues. If you come across a program that is consistently causing an issue, try it on another machine, preferrably a 32-bit installation of the same version of Windows you are currently running.

If you cannot identify the software causing the issue, you can try things like: clearing your startup applications via MSCONFIG, lowering the amount or graphics processing that Windows uses to display functions (aero peek, transparent start bars, sliding menus, etc).

In the end, you may be the result of a failed image to the machine. Keep in mind that these machines are mass produced. Even configure to order machines will use a base image. If there is an issue with the image transfer, then you will have issues with Windows functions. Perhaps a clean install of the OS will help. Many machines now come with two CDs for the reimage process. One is the Windows installation CD (covertly labeled as HP Recovery CD OS Install or something like that) and the other should be drivers for your hardware. You could be able to do a "clean" install of Windows and install only the drivers from the driver disc, leaving the HP specific stuff out.

In the end, if that doesn't work....hit it with a hammer. :D

Hope this has given you some insight into your PC.

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Turns out to be Zone Alarm firewall that was conflicting with Windows. Uninstalled it and I haven't had a crash in nearly three weeks. Hope that info can be of use to someone else!

Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Let's face it folks, HP; Dell; Compaq; Acer - when it comes to laptops - avoid.

Toshiba and dare I say it - Sony - are good choices for laptops and Samsung and Asus are also pretty good.

And yet another 'dare I say it' if you've got more cash than you know what to do with then the Apple laptops are actually very good.

This is my opinion which is mine and mine alone and nobody else's but mine.

Those wishing to criticise my criticisms please take a queue ticket from the machine on your right by the entrance and await your turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question