BBC Free on You Tube legally

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
British internet users could soon access full length episodes from former series of BBC shows such as Doctor Who and Planet Earth, for an open-ended amount of time, on video-sharing site YouTube.

Hope so as ,Dr Who is ace

Reaction score
Rush said:
British internet users could soon access full length episodes from former series of BBC shows such as Doctor Who and Planet Earth, for an open-ended amount of time, on video-sharing site YouTube.

Hope so as ,Dr Who is ace

Yeah when i was a kiddy i used to love it especially the Tardis...LOL
Zzzzz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Dr Who used to frighten me sometimes back in the early sixties - wot a wuss I was :D

I wonder - do we need a TV licence to watch this stuff?

I don't have a TV atm so I don't have a TV licence.

Them TV licensing people constantly bombard me with very heavy crap (they're actually threatening beyond their legal capabilities) but I was curious.

What do y'all reckon?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You Tube are hosting video files not transmitting tv so I recon you do not need a tv licence.The quality won't be anything to shout about.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Do you think they really have TV detector units and if so how come no one has come up with a TV detector detector yet....patents office here i come....lads how can we exploit this idea???LOL..way past bedtime folks
Zzzzz

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Do you think they really have TV detector units and if so how come no one has come up with a TV detector detector yet....patents office here i come....lads how can we exploit this idea???LOL..way past bedtime folks
Zzzzz

There has never, ever, been a TV detector van that worked.

The technology was actually impossible.

One of the best bluffs our Goverment has ever come up with, lol

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I wonder - do we need a TV licence to watch this stuff?

I don't have a TV atm so I don't have a TV licence.

What do y'all reckon?

I reckon that atm you don't need a licence but sure as Hell if it takes off in a big way then eventually you will.
nod.gif

Reaction score
nivrip said:
I reckon that atm you don't need a licence but sure as Hell if it takes off in a big way then eventually you will.
nod.gif

Is a monitor the same as a TV except it does not receive a signal ??? I think the license is only for the receiver and if there's no receiver in your monitor or pc then they cant bill you, right ??
They'll find a way int end.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Right well here we go..The answer to the question of wether you will need a TV Licence to watch said shows on Youtube, or any shows via the internet is simply no you will not need one, unless your computer has been adapted to watch TV...ie you have fitted or your PC came with a pre-installed TV tuner/card..

(1) In Part 1 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967, “television set” means any apparatus which (either alone or in association with other apparatus) is capable of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service but is not computer apparatus or a mobile telephone.

(2) In this regulation, “computer apparatus” means apparatus which -
(a) is designed or adapted to be used (either alone or in association with other apparatus) for storing or processing data, but not for doing so in connection with the reception by means of wireless telegraphy of television programme services; and

(b) is not offered for sale or letting as apparatus for use (either alone or in association with other apparatus) primarily for or in connection with the reception (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) of such services;

Reaction score
So Folks...you tube it is then. We all need a large pc monitorfor the bedroom LOL....although i really dont know how we'd live without the tv.....hats off to Flops.
Zzzzz

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis:

A Finnish parliamentary working group said in a report Thursday that the licence fee should be replaced with a tax named "a public service media fee" levied on all households regardless of television or radio ownership.

The government said in a statement the proposed fee was 175 euros regardless of household size, with companies with more than 400,000 euros in annual sales liable to three times the household rate and charities exempt.

By way of comparison the licence fee is 224.30 euros.

The government plans to have the new scheme to fund the Finnish Broadcasting Company (YLE) in force by 2011.

http://www.helsinkitimes.fi/htimes/...to-replace-licence-fee-with-qmedia-feeq-.html

:p

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
At least here if I don't have tv or radio I don't need a lisence.

Just you wait, 'enry 'iggins, just you wait!

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I agree with MadX to a degree but the truth is just about everybody will access media of one sort or another even if it's just a browser on their mobile.

If everybody paid it would stop those BBC bailiffs chasing people somewhat over-zealously.

And you don't need a licence to listen to UK radio, btw.

Myself, I think the best answer would be a small tax on products sold by the BBC and any artist that appears on the BBC one way or another on their CD's and DVD's. Apparently the BBC make more money from books, DVD's and worldwide franchises for their programs sold than they do from the licence fee.

Still, a tricky one. We could scrap the licence altogether but then the BBC would have advertising on it, which would be the loss of something peculiarly British. And that, imo, would be a bit sad.

On the other hand (and I shall probably appeal to all Daily Mail readers here) the BBC has Carte Blanche to do whatever they will with the money they receive from licence holders and sometimes they manage to waste it in a most spectacular fashion.

And on the other, other, hand, lol, as I remember they used to produce some marvellous plays and documentaries.

How about Freeview tuners with the ability to receive anything BBC disabled? ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Mr Flopps is obviously well-endowed in the "other hands" department... gotta sneaky pic of him :p

oct_pus-1.jpg

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Me and Brand ....Flops and the Mail...interesting take ...All things British and Brittish absurd ..lol lol

Ask a Question