Excel Batch removal of empty cells in Excel

MFG

Reaction score
Hi folks

I am importing data from the EPRIME (psych experimentation) software. These files log reaction times and responses, etc. The problem is that the clolumns contain some cells with no information and are blank, e.g. (where NULL means an empty cell):

Resp1.ACC ... repeated for 48 columns (variables)
NULL
NULL
NULL
NULL
NULL
NULL
NULL
NULL
0 ....etc, in 36 rows

How can I remove these empty cells, without having to do it manually?

Regards - MFG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you need to keep the data in the same order, or are there other variables in the same row as this?

If not, you should be able to "sort" the column so that the nulls are back at the bottom.

MFG

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Do you need to keep the data in the same order, or are there other variables in the same row as this?

If not, you should be able to "sort" the column so that the nulls are back at the bottom.
Hi Ian

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Unfortunately the sort function does not remove empty cells! Because my stimuli are mixed types with pseudo-random timing, that means that performance and RT reponses are sparsley entered into the columns with lots of spaces between cells, of no fixed pattern - however if they were collapsed into a single column, all the cells would be full, i.e. imagine taking a single column of 100 numbers and choosing 4 numbers randomly and moving into each group of 4 horizontally into 25 adjacent columns.

Regards - MFG

Ask a Question