batch files

J

jarhead

I can't run batch files on my XP. I continue to get a
message that says that I do not have access to this type
of file. Can anyone help. I am the only user of the
computer and am therefore the administrator.

G

Windows can not access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
I hope this helps.

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Ok, this sounds like your file associations for BAT files are screwed up.

See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Fixes, File Association Fixes, BAT File Association Fix.

Other than that, you need to check the permissions for the CMD.EXE file in the Windows\System32 folder.

G

Tried both. Neither worked. Nothing seems to happen with the first and with the second I get the exact same message. Any other options?

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

The first is just a REG file that sets the BAT file associations back to its default. Outside of the import prompt, you won't see anything different, other than hopefully, BAT files running properly.

Is it a particular BAT file? If so, can you post the contents?

G

No. It seems to be all BAT files.

Doug Knox MS-MVP said:
The first is just a REG file that sets the BAT file associations back to its default. Outside of the import prompt, you won't see anything different, other than hopefully, BAT files running properly.

Is it a particular BAT file? If so, can you post the contents?

Ask a Question