Basic Questions

Ramesh

hi,
Let me ask some basic questions.
Can anybody explain me about the following questions:

1. When we have to create sn key? Whenever we compiled
Component we have to create or it is a one time process?
2. What information contained in sn key. I gone through
that it is having public key. How it is using this key to
intract with client.
3. When we have to run gacutil.exe file. Whenever we
compiled, we have to run this or one time is enough? What
it is doing?
4. When we use Build [project name], what it is doing. It
is compiling and registering the dll or just compiling the
dll?
5.When i run the gacutil.exe it created component in the
Component service in control panal and it created this
component many times under project name folder in
Component service. What is the use of it?

Can anybody explain about this questions. Thanks in
advance.

-Ramesh

Dennis Doomen

See below:
hi,
Let me ask some basic questions.
Can anybody explain me about the following questions:

1. When we have to create sn key? Whenever we compiled
Component we have to create or it is a one time process?

Typically you create one key-pair per project, or you use one key-pair
throughout your company. In any way, you should ensure that this key
is kept private to prevent others from impersonating your company.
One approach is to use 'delayed signing' (see MSDN)>
2. What information contained in sn key. I gone through
that it is having public key. How it is using this key to
intract with client.

It contains a public and private key. The private is used to encrypt a
part of an assembly, and the public key is embedded (in an abbreviated
form) in the assemblies that are using your assembly.
3. When we have to run gacutil.exe file. Whenever we
compiled, we have to run this or one time is enough? What
it is doing?

It installes an assembly in the Global Assembly Cache so that multiple
applications can share that assembly. Typically you do when your
application is installed on the end-user system.
4. When we use Build [project name], what it is doing. It
is compiling and registering the dll or just compiling the
dll?

It just compiles your assembly. However, you can enable features such as
registering an assembly for COM interop.
5.When i run the gacutil.exe it created component in the
Component service in control panal and it created this
component many times under project name folder in
Component service. What is the use of it?

Hmm, I have not idea. Are you creatnig a COM+ component?
Can anybody explain about this questions. Thanks in
advance.

-Ramesh

Dennis Doomen
Sioux T.S.O. Netherlands
(e-mail address removed)

Peter Huang [MSFT]

Hi Ramesh,

I agree with the answer from Dennis . I'd like to add more information with
regards to your fifth question.

It seems that you are create a serviced component. I think the tool
regsvcs.exe will Generates, registers, and installs a type library into a
specified COM+ 1.0 application.
Here is link, you may have a check.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cptools/htm
l/cpgrfnetservicesinstallationutilityregsvcsexe.asp

As for the Global Assembly Cache Tool (Gacutil.exe)
The Global Assembly Cache tool allows you to view and manipulate the
contents of the global assembly cache and download cache. Here is a msdn
link.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cptools/htm
l/cpgrfglobalassemblycacheutilitygacutilexe.asp

If you are creating a serviced component. Here is helpful KB link.
HOW TO: Create a Serviced .NET Component in Visual C# .NET
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306296

If you have any related question, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:06:40 +0200
From: Dennis Doomen <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
Subject: Re: Basic Questions

[...]

hi Peter Huang,
Thanks for your reply. I have one more doubt in the
Component services. I can't see my method names (When i
click the method folder under project folder) in the
Component services in Control panel. Is there is any
reason behind that.

thanks,

Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 11:06:40 +0200
From: Dennis Doomen <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp

[...]

.

Peter Huang [MSFT]

Hi Ramesh,

You may try to use the ClassInterfaceAttribute to your class.
[ClassInterfaceAttribute(ClassInterfaceType.AutoDual)]
l/cpconapplyinginteropattributes.asp

Here is sample code.
http://groups.google.com/groups?q="[ClassInterfaceAttribute(ClassInterfa
ceType.AutoDual)%5D%22+%22peter+huang%22&hl=zh-CN&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm
=ll6fVgyZDHA.2116%40cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl&rnum=1

Did I answer your question?