Banding on Epson R1800

Guillaume Dargaud

Hello all,
this morning I started having a problem with my Epson R1800: there are some
clearer bands of varying width (up to several cm) across the print.

The diagnostic prints of the driver run fine and I've done a bunch of head
cleanings without difference. The bands are not sharp, they just show like
slightly clearer areas, but they are very visible on dark prints. All tanks
are at least half full...

Any idea what may be the cause/solution ?

frederick

Guillaume said:
Hello all,
this morning I started having a problem with my Epson R1800: there are some
clearer bands of varying width (up to several cm) across the print.

The diagnostic prints of the driver run fine and I've done a bunch of head
cleanings without difference. The bands are not sharp, they just show like
slightly clearer areas, but they are very visible on dark prints. All tanks
are at least half full...

Any idea what may be the cause/solution ?

If the diagnostic test (nozzle check) indicates no problem, then do you
have the right paper type selected for the paper that you are using?

Bullitt

Hi Guillaume:

If you're using OEM inks, they're all pigment-based for this model.
Pigment-based inks are generally more subsceptible to clogging than
dye-based because of the suspended colour particles.

If the banding is at regular intervals down the page, regardless of
their individual width, it would appear to me to still be a printhead
issue.

http://files.support.epson.com/pdf/r1800_/r1800_ug.pdf

In the R1800 user guide, there is a paragraph specifically on banding
(pages 93-95). The first suggestion is to perform full printhead
cleaning. Can you confirm that you've followed all the stated
printhead cleaning procedures (pages 73-76), including the manual
method? It sounds like the automatic method may only have
accomplished partial cleaning since you're stlll not getting full ink
coverage.

One review of this printer
(http://www.cnet.com.au/printers/photo/0,239035497,240055142,00.htm)
mentions "finicky nozzles" and recommends running a nozzle
check after a few days of printer inactivity. This also seems to
support clogged nozzles.

Since the printhead is not removeable, running alternate cleaning
cycles and nozzle checks are likely your only way to clear the clog.
Iit's not a waste of ink if it gets the printhead unclogged.

Any other suggestions?

Arthur Entlich

Barring a problem with the paper itself, you probably are having
intermittent clogs.

For more information on how to resolve these, email me at:

e-printerhelp(at)mvps(dot)org

(at) = @
(dot) = .

I can send you a free document which explains how to clear your
printer's heads without removing them.

Art

Guillaume Dargaud

In answer to the various questions:
- original Epson ink
- Moab satin paper, color calibrated (not that it matters as the banding is
_very_ visible)

Some updates:
Yesterday I performed several head cleanings/alignements and it seemed to
get back to normal at first. I had to print a stack of 33x95cm posters. Only
the first 5 came out fine, after that I had the problem again (and a stack
of wasted expensive paper).

On some of the nozzle check patterns, some of the tiny rectangles are
sometimes offset in position (it overlaps the top one). Probably related to
that, upon looking closely at one of the failed prints, in one of the banded
areas the print appears to be double, just like if some heads had the wrong
positioning (we are talking about 1 or 2 mm).
I just ran a new one and _half_ of the rectangles were white on the first
run of the cyan (with a new cartrige). Is that _normal_ ? (third one is
fine).

Is it possible that some heads are loose and just move around ?!?
On page 74 they say to turn off the printer overnight. Seems like a strange
solution, but I haven't turned mine off for months, so I can give it a shot.

I'm always cautious to run the printer regularly, but I didn't use it much
for a month and now it's bonked...
--
Guillaume Dargaud
http://www.gdargaud.net/