Backspace key loads IE when used in any application - hard to edit text - HELP!

anmari

If hit the backspace key in Msword, Money, this newsgroup post but not i
think notepad, and in fact even in explorer itself or Opera, or the google
toolbar, then IE loads and displays page www.hp.com/INDEX.HTML which says
"sorry the page requested cannot be found.

This started happening yesterday and makes it impossible to edit text in my
normal fashion. temporarily the main enter key and spacebar stopped
working, bu they are ok now.

The only thing I think I did before was load a later version of Opera.
Subsequently I did a windows update, adaware scan, norton scans run regulary
but I am running another one anyway, but nothing has helped so far. I have
tried searching the web, but nothing obviously the same pops up.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to get rid of it??

Thanks

David Candy

Attached file is a keyboard reference but includes some diagnostics. It's impossible to set backspace as a hotkey (cos windows won't let you). But that doesn't mean if you manage it it won't work.
On internet shortcuts, and it is hard to type with backspace poping up IE, it is stored as a text as Internet Shortcuts are text files. This is from the shortcut. 8 is backspace

[DEFAULT]
BASEURL=http://www.smh.com.au/
[DOC#996]
BASEURL=http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/planner/planner.html
ORIGURL=/entertainment/planner/planner.html
[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://www.smh.com.au/
Modified=C0C2F82C1A11C60198
Hotkey=8

If it is an Internet Shortcut, and it may not be one but a normal shortcut to IE, then only the diagnostic list (in attached file) not Hotkey list will find it. This may take up to 1/2 hour during which the document/program appears to have hung. The hotkey search is a lot quicker but doesn't do internet shortcuts. Try that first.

I suspect that there is a shortcut on Start with HP's name in it somewhere.

anmari

Thanks for the reply, but....
1) I cannot access the attachment - greyed out
2) also not sure I understand the response.
I have not been tryingto create hotkeys or shortcuts - this just started
happening suddenly - what put it there ? andhow come it seems to affect so
many applications - not just IE?

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
[...]

1. Contact MS Product Support and ask them why it is greyed out. It's their decision.

2. Don't know, because it is a global hotkey.

Goodbye Web Diary
http://margokingston.typepad.com/harry_version_2/2005/12/thank_you_and_g.html#comments

anmari said:
[...]

I uninstalled Opera and now if you hit backspace in any application, it
still loads IE but goes to a "compaq presario button redirect" info page -
unfortunately this only helps with those hotkeys at the top of the
keyboard - the "backspace key" is not an option to configure.

I am not a regedit expert, but have tried looking there and cannot see
anything obvious.

Right clicking on IE on desktop says no shotrcut setup

Help! Does anyone else have any ideas??

anmari

Hi there, just thought I would leave a post for anyone else reading - we
connected another keyboard and had no problem, so now think it is a hardware
problem ie a faulty backspace key
thanks for the help anyway