avoiding circular references

G

I have a spreadsheet set up to show the cost of my product based on size. As I change the size of my product (from 6 feet to 8 feet perhaps) I would like the value calculated for the 6 foot information left in a table, and the value of the next calculation (the 8 foot option) in another cell, creating a table such as this

A1=height (this value changes to create costs for each size listed in the table
B1=calculated Cost (this value is dependent on the changes made to cell A1

width height cos
6 6 (cell B15) 121.20 (cell C15
6 8 (cell B16) 135.60 (cell C16
6 10 149.01 et

So far, the only way I know how to do this is using and ignoring circular references where the formula is as follows for a cell: Cell C15= if(A1=B15,B1,C15
Cell C16= if(A1=B16,B1,C16)

If anyone can help me eliminate the circular references, I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks...

B

Bernard Liengme

I think this needs more explanation.

--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove CAPS in e-mail address
MOpsahl said:
I have a spreadsheet set up to show the cost of my product based on size.
As I change the size of my product (from 6 feet to 8 feet perhaps) I would
like the value calculated for the 6 foot information left in a table, and
the value of the next calculation (the 8 foot option) in another cell,
creating a table such as this:
A1=height (this value changes to create costs for each size listed in the table)
B1=calculated Cost (this value is dependent on the changes made to cell A1)

width height cost
6 6 (cell B15) 121.20 (cell C15)
6 8 (cell B16) 135.60 (cell C16)
6 10 149.01 etc

So far, the only way I know how to do this is using and ignoring circular
references where the formula is as follows for a cell: Cell C15=
if(A1=B15,B1,C15)

G

When I change the sizes in my spreadsheet, all the cost information is computed and then returned to a cell, in my example, cell B1. I would like to capture the value in cell B1 for each size of my product, just by entering new sizes. To do so now, I have to use circular references and the spreadsheet freezes at times to warn me of circular references. I just was wondering if there were a different formula I could use to create a full cost table for all the sizes of products that my company creates.

Ask a Question