Avira AV boot disk says it's in Demo Mode

mm

I don't have to use the Avira Boot CD. It's only one of several that
already work, but I'm still very curious. When I run it, it works if
I set it only checks the master boot record, I think it is, but if I
want a quickscan or full scan, the message says that I'm in Demo Mode,
and it won't do ~Z whatever that is.

I know I did't pay for it, but they didn't ask me to pay for it.
(Nor did the other AV's and they work.)

I dl'd an .exe file, with included a self-burner, and when it wouldn't
burn directly, I took the other option and saved he .iso file it had
generated. Then I burnt that with other software, and indeed I can
boot from it.

But to actually disinfect or rename any viruses, it says I'm in Demo
mode and it won't do it.

Thanks.

FromTheRafters

mm said:
I don't have to use the Avira Boot CD. It's only one of several that
already work, but I'm still very curious. When I run it, it works if
I set it only checks the master boot record, I think it is, but if I
want a quickscan or full scan, the message says that I'm in Demo Mode,
and it won't do ~Z whatever that is.

I know I did't pay for it, but they didn't ask me to pay for it.
(Nor did the other AV's and they work.)

I dl'd an .exe file, with included a self-burner, and when it wouldn't
burn directly, I took the other option and saved he .iso file it had
generated. Then I burnt that with other software, and indeed I can
boot from it.

But to actually disinfect or rename any viruses, it says I'm in Demo
mode and it won't do it.

Thanks.

I quick look google leads me to several users having this problem - in
2008. They are mostly saying that it will be fixed in a newer version.

....maybe you got an old version there.

mm

I quick look google leads me to several users having this problem - in
2008.
Wow.

They are mostly saying that it will be fixed in a newer version.

...maybe you got an old version there.
I think I found the page I used. It's an all-Avira page, with logos
and a little bit of graphics, no mention of anything else, no
advertising, but it's really on www.free-av.com

When you go to an actual antivirus site, and other kinds of software
too, sometimes they hide the free stuff. AVG is like that. Zonealarm
might have been like that. PowerDesk was and probably is like that.
So now I google for what I want and go to where it says, and so now I
think I got an old version that doesn't work!!! Like you said. Haha.

So this time I made sure I was at their site (where they have both
..exe and .iso versions), and the files are 300 and 500 megs bigger
than what I had before. so I guess that was the problem. I dl'd both
of them! but since I'm down to one blank CD, I can't burn a copy until
I buy more, which is scheuled for tomorrow. :) But I'm sure it will
work.

Thanks a lot, and thanks Eric too.

Still this discloses a problem, that I can't tell the creation date of
a downloaded file. I end up with the download date and time showing
in both the date motified and creation date. Is there a way to make
Windows (or is it Firfox) preserve the date on the file when it is
stored on my computer?? Even the creation date is always today.

FromTheRafters

mm said:
"mm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]
[...]
I quick look google leads me to several users having this problem - in
2008.
Wow.

They are mostly saying that it will be fixed in a newer version.

...maybe you got an old version there.
I think I found the page I used. It's an all-Avira page, with logos
and a little bit of graphics, no mention of anything else, no
advertising, but it's really on www.free-av.com

Maybe it got corrupted?
When you go to an actual antivirus site, and other kinds of software
too, sometimes they hide the free stuff.

Sometimes the official page loads and shows you a download for something
*else* at the top and you have to scroll down for the actual desired
file's download button.

(sneaky bastards)

[...]
So this time I made sure I was at their site [...]

That's good practice IMO. Even if Adobe needs to update Flash or Reader
and tells me - I don't like being led somewhere and would rather visit
the vendor's site itself and get updated there.

[...]
Still this discloses a problem, that I can't tell the creation date of
a downloaded file. I end up with the download date and time showing
in both the date motified and creation date. Is there a way to make
Windows (or is it Firfox) preserve the date on the file when it is
stored on my computer?? Even the creation date is always today.

I don't think so, you may be confusing the difference between a file and
it's content (file creation date rather than program creation date). You
don't actually download files, you create files in which to store
downloaded contents (usually from files on another filesystem).

Opening the file in an editor may give you an idea of version data or
date of the program, depending on what kind of program file it is.

mm

mm said:
[...]

Yes, but it used to be that the file created on your computer when
downloading was given the same date as the file in the other computer.

I decided to ask in the microsoft.public.windowsxp.general ng and was
told FTP would still do it.

And that "the old style Internet download protocol used to do it.
[Maybe by that he is still talking about FTP.] New style HTTP
doesn't."

It used to be that webpages in webbrowsers often referred someone to a
directory and set it up to FTP from that. I don't know if I ever see
that done by the browser anymore but it's rare. I've also found such
directories on my own some time, but I often/usually/always? I can't
dl from them.

mm

I downloaded a copy (iso) on 11/9/10 and it works fine.

Eric
I got it from their own webpage and it works fine now. Thanks again
Eric and the Rafters. (Is that rude? Do I have to say "from the
Rafters"? I dont' want to be rude.

FromTheRafters

I got it from their own webpage and it works fine now. Thanks again
Eric and the Rafters. (Is that rude? Do I have to say "from the
Rafters"? I dont' want to be rude.

Most folks just type FTR or Rafters - either works for me.

....and you're welcome. :blush:)

gufus

Hello, FromTheRafters!

You wrote on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 18:38:29 -0400:

| Most folks just type FTR or Rafters - either works for me.

I've been using my aka "gufus" since 1990

FromTheRafters

gufus said:
Hello, FromTheRafters!

You wrote on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 18:38:29 -0400:

| Most folks just type FTR or Rafters - either works for me.

I've been using my aka "gufus" since 1990

1994, I think, for me.

Was Brothergoose in Garden.com Chat - my odd comments from time to time
made someone say "Here's Brothergoose again, from the rafters". I had
previously gotten Forte Free Agent set up for newsgroups and lurked for
a long while before commenting - FromTheRafters was born.

Semi-anonymity seemed a good idea at the time (alt.hackers.malicious),
and name consistency made me *really* easy to filter out.

gufus

Hello, FromTheRafters!

You wrote on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 19:23:17 -0400:

| a long while before commenting - FromTheRafters was born.

Ah....

I go by "humaniod" too.

FromTheRafters

Ant said:
And all this time I thought your name was a reference to bats!

Haven't been over there in years. I wonder if Sooge still posts.

I think Dustin might have been there more recently than either of us
have. I'll have to drop by and see if I recognize anyone.