Windows XP AVG 8.0 Firewall UDP Port 137

Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Hi, I am using AVG 8.0 with the AVG firewall. It frequency alerts me to an outgoing connection to 192.168.1.255 :137. Which is a local network adddress I think. My network only has 5 items. I think it's from Port 137. Apparently it's a UDP protocol whatever that is. I think it's fairly harmless, but seems impossible to stop the alert recurring. AVG seem unable to help.
Does anybody else have this problem?

The alert says:
Operating System is trying to establish a UDP connection with remote IP address 192.168.1.255 : 137. Local address: 192.168.1.5

My system is a home network with a D-Link router. My OS is XP-SP2.

How do I block PORT 137?
If I do block it, will anything else stop working?

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Joined
Feb 23, 2002
Messages
19,873
Reaction score
1,499
As far as I know port 137 is used for NetBios communication, so you shouldn't block this. Ideally you want a way to tell AVG that similar activity to this is OK, and not to alert you each time. I've not used their firewall software before, but ZoneAlarm and Kaspersky both have an option to not show similar alerts again.

Perhaps someone here is more familiar with AVG and can point you in the right direction, but I would have thought the alert popup would give you the option for this.

Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Thanks. The pop-up gives the option to "Save my answer", which is "Allow for all". It makes no difference if I click save answer or not. It still asks me the same question again anything from 1 minute to several hours later. Very annoying.

If anybody has any ideas I'd welcome them..

Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
J-Bear:

Hi, I'm having the exact problem that you described with the AVG8 Internet Security Suite, Firewall module. I also am running Windows XP, SP2 on a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop. I am using a LinkSys wireless router WRT54G.

Didn't see any resolution listed in the forum for this issue but I was just wondering if you have had any further success with AVG on this issue ?

Thanks, larva01

Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Hi,
The problem is still annoying me every 20 - 30 minutes. In a way, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

AVG said the following but it didn't make any difference.
- Open AVG User Interface.
- Choose the "Firewall settings" option from the "Tools" menu.
- Select "Profiles" item -> your default profile -> "Defined networks".
- Click on the "Add network" button.
- Type a brief network name (e.g. Allowed IP).
- Click on the "Add IP" button.
- Select the "One IP address" option and set the IP address to
196.168.1.255
- Confirm with the "OK" button.

I'll be contacting AVG again soon. Online help doesn't help much. There must be something strange about 196.168.1.255 : 137.

Any ideas are welcome.

Otherwise AVG 8.0 seems OK so far.

Joined
Apr 15, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
AVG8 Firewall Issue

For your info, below you will see a couple dialogs that I had with AVG. Sounds like they are aware and are working on a resolution for the problem. In the meantime, you will see at the bottom of this message where I sent them some 'Additional Info' that tended to confuse me more however, not going to worry about it because they are working on the issue and since I now connected my desktop wirelessly the issue, like with my wirelessly connected notebook went away with my desktop when I went from hard Ethernet cable connect to wireless. (You'll see my message to them further below).....

Since you are aware of the issue, think I will just wait to be notified of resolution.

I tried the suggested 'temporary solution' below and that does not work. As a matter of fact, when I followed the directions and rebooted, my chat client was asking for 'proxy authentication', normally detects automatically, and it, Google Talk would no longer function properly. Also, lost my Internet connection, mail client did not function either or any app requiring Internet connection.

I just reversed the procedure, rebooted, and now I have everything back to normal except for the issue at hand.

Thank you,
James Perryman

Show%5C44_a_envelope2.gif
(e-mail address removed)