Windows XP AVG 8.0 Firewall UDP Port 137

Reaction score
Hi, I am using AVG 8.0 with the AVG firewall. It frequency alerts me to an outgoing connection to 192.168.1.255 :137. Which is a local network adddress I think. My network only has 5 items. I think it's from Port 137. Apparently it's a UDP protocol whatever that is. I think it's fairly harmless, but seems impossible to stop the alert recurring. AVG seem unable to help.
Does anybody else have this problem?

The alert says:
Operating System is trying to establish a UDP connection with remote IP address 192.168.1.255 : 137. Local address: 192.168.1.5

My system is a home network with a D-Link router. My OS is XP-SP2.

How do I block PORT 137?
If I do block it, will anything else stop working?

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As far as I know port 137 is used for NetBios communication, so you shouldn't block this. Ideally you want a way to tell AVG that similar activity to this is OK, and not to alert you each time. I've not used their firewall software before, but ZoneAlarm and Kaspersky both have an option to not show similar alerts again.

Perhaps someone here is more familiar with AVG and can point you in the right direction, but I would have thought the alert popup would give you the option for this.

Reaction score
Thanks. The pop-up gives the option to "Save my answer", which is "Allow for all". It makes no difference if I click save answer or not. It still asks me the same question again anything from 1 minute to several hours later. Very annoying.

If anybody has any ideas I'd welcome them..

Reaction score
J-Bear:

Hi, I'm having the exact problem that you described with the AVG8 Internet Security Suite, Firewall module. I also am running Windows XP, SP2 on a Dell Dimension 8400 desktop. I am using a LinkSys wireless router WRT54G.

Didn't see any resolution listed in the forum for this issue but I was just wondering if you have had any further success with AVG on this issue ?

Thanks, larva01

Reaction score
Hi,
The problem is still annoying me every 20 - 30 minutes. In a way, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one.

AVG said the following but it didn't make any difference.
- Open AVG User Interface.
- Choose the "Firewall settings" option from the "Tools" menu.
- Select "Profiles" item -> your default profile -> "Defined networks".
- Click on the "Add network" button.
- Type a brief network name (e.g. Allowed IP).
- Click on the "Add IP" button.
- Select the "One IP address" option and set the IP address to
- Confirm with the "OK" button.

I'll be contacting AVG again soon. Online help doesn't help much. There must be something strange about 196.168.1.255 : 137.

Any ideas are welcome.

Otherwise AVG 8.0 seems OK so far.

Reaction score
AVG8 Firewall Issue

For your info, below you will see a couple dialogs that I had with AVG. Sounds like they are aware and are working on a resolution for the problem. In the meantime, you will see at the bottom of this message where I sent them some 'Additional Info' that tended to confuse me more however, not going to worry about it because they are working on the issue and since I now connected my desktop wirelessly the issue, like with my wirelessly connected notebook went away with my desktop when I went from hard Ethernet cable connect to wireless. (You'll see my message to them further below).....

Since you are aware of the issue, think I will just wait to be notified of resolution.

I tried the suggested 'temporary solution' below and that does not work. As a matter of fact, when I followed the directions and rebooted, my chat client was asking for 'proxy authentication', normally detects automatically, and it, Google Talk would no longer function properly. Also, lost my Internet connection, mail client did not function either or any app requiring Internet connection.

I just reversed the procedure, rebooted, and now I have everything back to normal except for the issue at hand.

Thank you,
James Perryman

Show%5C44_a_envelope2.gif
(e-mail address removed)
Show%5C44_a_envelope2.gif
(e-mail address removed)

-------Original Message-------

Date: 04/18/08 08:59:58
To: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: Re: G#0802611930 - AVG 8 Diagnostics (1/1)

Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your email.

Please accept our apologies for the experienced inconvenience.

We would like to inform you that we are aware of this issue and our
developers are currently working on a solution. When the correction is ready
you will be notified.

Just some additional information:

I noticed that when I am using my HP notebook with AVG8 Internet Security and connecting wirelessly to my LinkSys WRT54G router that I do not have the same issue as I do with my Dell Dimension 8400 desktop which has been the subject of this job ticket.

With that in mind, instead of an Ethernet cable connect directly to my wireless router, I thought that I would also connect my desktop wirelessly; reason being that I was not experiencing the same issue with my notebook connected wirelessly with AVG8 Internet Security as I am experiencing with my desktop with a hard connect.

After connecting my desktop wirelessly, using a LinkSys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter, as with my notebook, I did not experience the issue at hand with my desktop.

When connecting my desktop via Ethernet cable and using the Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller network adapter, I do experience the issue that has been the subject of this ticket.

Hopefully, I haven't confused the issue but it seemed relevant to me that it should not matter whether you are connecting wirelessly or using a hard Ethernet cable connect to the router. I would think that AVG8 Internet Security would perform the same irregardless of connection type.

By the way, both my notebook and desktop are using Windows XP, SP2 and the NFTS file system.

Reaction score
Could be a Trojan

I had several days of this really annoying problem with continual popups about Port 137. All appeared to be on local IP addresses.
But then I ran a FULL scans using AVG8, Spyware Doctor, and Malwarebyte Anti-Malware (not at the same time), and both AVG and AntiMalware found and quarantined a Trojan each (different ones).
The firewall popups seem to have stopped - which lead me to think there was an active Trojan on the machine. Strongly recommend everyone with this problem to scan their machines thoroughly.

I thought I was safe from Tojans - I keep fully patched - all signatures fully up to date - and I do not visit dodgy sites. Lesson learnt.

Ask a Question