Avenge MicroDefs

Reaction score
I have been scouring the internet for answers, and the only option I have come up with is giving the Symantec Corporation even more of my hard earned money to fix a problem which I have already given them money to prevent. If you can help me fix my problem or at least quel my fears I would be much obliged.

Norton Internet Security 2006 would not update. In the box it read "LU 1875 [font=ARIAL,MS SANS SERIF,UNIVERS,HELVETICA]This update failed during its preprocessing welcome text phase" [/font]so I clicked on it to see what Symantec would have me do for their defective product. I followed the instructions on their page, and it worked, or so I thought...I tried the live update again and lo and behold something was not as it had been before. It said that it was downloading Avenge Microdefs and it had a little icon that was not familiar to me.

I was disturbed, however, I did not have time for more problems. Two weeks or so later, and the computer does not run well at all. I attempted to install SP2 for XP thinking that it might be the problem, and that maybe I was just paranoid. But I thought I would do some searching to silence my fears. I have not gotten SP2 installed yet, but I talked to a representative on Symantecs chat service, and they said that it was indeed a virus that could not be detected by Norton because it is hidden in the registry under a system or program file name, and that it will divulge information to all until I pay them 39.95 to help me fix it or 69.95 to have them fix it remotely.

This makes me question Symantecs integrity. If they have a program which detects falsely named files, and they can do this proceedure from a remote computer, why then would they not incorporate it into their existing software, as the whole live update feature boasts? Is Symantec then allowing there to be holes in their software so that they can make even more money?

Here is the conversation with the tech.

LiveAssist Transcript

chat id : (I erased this)

Problem : Avenge MicroDefs

Darshan > Hello Johnathan R my name is Darshan.
Johnathan R > Hello
Darshan
> Welcome to our Virus Consultation & Removal Service. Is this the first time you are contacting us on this issue?
Johnathan R > no, this is the second
Darshan > May I have your Chat Case Reference Number please?
Johnathan R
> I didn't save it, but it will only take a second to explain
Johnathan R
> I was wondering if you could explain what the Avenge MicroDefs are
Darshan > Avenge MicroDefs, is a Virus.
Johnathan R > What does it do?
Darshan > i will let you know more about his threat.
Johnathan R
> thanks!
(At this point he signed off, and then back on)
Johnathan R > Welcome back!
Darshan > This Virus will corrupt programme files and will give you error message.
Johnathan R
> How does it corrupt them?
Darshan
> Theses Virus will enter into the system registry and it will start to function as programmed.
Johnathan R
> What is it programmed to do?
Darshan
> Most of these kind of Virus are programmed to corrupt programme files and other application which will lead to system crash down, few may be also be programmed to steal confidential information like Spywares.
Johnathan R
> Why doesn't Norton Antivirus detect it?
Darshan > I will explain you ...
Johnathan R
> Great!
Darshan
> There are certain virus programs which creates entries in registry and behaves as windows applications,in that case it may not be detected.
Darshan > And Avenge MicroDefs is one among them.
Darshan
> this may be one of the reason.
Johnathan R
> Ahh, I see.
Johnathan R
> Where did this virus come from?
Darshan
> But don't worry we will help you in getting that threat removed.
Johnathan R
> Great!
Darshan
> In this case we need to log in to your system registry to find for the hidden entries.
Darshan
> we must also get that threat removed from its hidden entry.
Johnathan R
> If it's hidden how do you find it?
Darshan > So we will log into your system and will do all the removal process.
Johnathan R
> Can you explain how all that will work?
Darshan > You can watch us doing all the removal process.
Darshan
> And we will also be online so if you need to know any thing you can ask any time.
Johnathan R
> Can you explain to me how it works before you do it? Like how you know which file is the "bad one"?
Darshan > We need to get into your system to detect that infected file and also we have to detect it from hidden entries too.
Johnathan R > I understand that you need into my system, and that it is hidden. I do not understand Johnathan R > 1 how you find the hidden file
Johnathan R
> 2 How you safely acess my system
Johnathan R
> 3 If the problem will be prevented from occuring again
Johnathan R
> I need more information
Darshan
> Sure.
Johnathan R
> Thanks Darshan!
Darshan
> As we will get into your system by remote access you can watch us doing the removal process in your screnn.
Darshan
> we are specially trained to handle such issue so don't worry we will safely log in to your system.
Johnathan R
> How much does it cost?
Darshan > We have two support options that you can select from so that we can help you in getting that threat removed from your system.
Johnathan R
> What are the two options?
Darshan
> Option 1: Standard Consultation This is a managed, do-it-yourself choice that includes diagnosis and a plan of action. The Consultation fee would be US $39.95.
Darshan
> Option 2: Premium ConsultationThis is a full-service choice that includes diagnosis and a plan of action, plus step-by-step help through the process. In this service, we would remotely connect to your system and remove the threat for you. The Consultation fee would be US $69.95.
Darshan
> You also have an option to upgrade from Standard Consultation to Premium Consultation by paying the extra US $30. Please note: The Consultation fee is non-refundable.
Darshan
> In Premium Support option, our trained technicians will login remotely to your system and assist you in completely removing the infection.
Johnathan R
> Well, the problem is not on this computer, and it is not my own, so I will have to delay on the final descision. However, can you give me a link for direct acess for next time?
Darshan
> You can make the payment now.
Darshan
> As we know about your issue now clearly.
Darshan > we can start the process soon when you get back to us later.
Johnathan R
> I cannot do that, since the money I will be spending is not my own.
Johnathan R
> Can you give me a refrence number though?
Darshan
> Your Chat Case Reference Number for this issue is 178163. Please make a note of it for future reference.
Johnathan R
> Thank you, I will
Johnathan R
> You have been very helpfull Darshan!
Darshan > Please note we have to get this threat removed as soon as possible.
Johnathan R
> Yeas thank you
Darshan
> It may steal your confidential information.
Johnathan R
> That would be very bad
Johnathan R
> Goodbye Darshan
Darshan > Thank you for contacting Symantec Virus Consultation & Removal Service. Good bye.

Reaction score
Ditch Norton

The best thing you can do is go to Add/Remove programs and delete Norton from your PC.
Then install something like AntiVir & Zone Alarm, both free & they do a better job :thumb:
And this advice is free;)
Oh and welcome to PCReview
happywave.gif

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The advice given to you by Symantec is at best rubbish, and at worst a con :( - it is NOT a virus - Avenge MicroDefs is part of the Norton Live Update system - it is to do with downloading the updated virus definitions.

You obviously have a problem with Norton, and frankly it is poor anyway, so as feckit says - get rid of it (use the Norton Removal Tool) and install Anti-Vir or pay for a good one like Kaspersky.

And you MUST install SP2 as well, together with these free anti-spyware programs such as Ad-aware, Windows Defender, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster all available HERE :thumb:

Ask a Question