AV Choice??

root

Regarding standalone PCs running XP Home/Pro/Tablet + RC2 soon to be SP2
RTM.

I wont do Symantec....well maybe if they pay me alot.

Trend and PC-cillin looked good but now they've withdrawn simple PC-cillin
and have the "suite" with all the extra junk and it costs more.

What's the best AV(no FW, no stoppers, no spamfilter) in this environment
from a stable and reliable and quick to release new def file company???

David H. Lipman

McAfee VirusScan Home Edition v8.0

Dave

| Regarding standalone PCs running XP Home/Pro/Tablet + RC2 soon to be SP2
| RTM.
|
| I wont do Symantec....well maybe if they pay me alot.
|
| Trend and PC-cillin looked good but now they've withdrawn simple PC-cillin
| and have the "suite" with all the extra junk and it costs more.
|
| What's the best AV(no FW, no stoppers, no spamfilter) in this environment
| from a stable and reliable and quick to release new def file company???

E McCann

AVG Antivirus, from Grisoft.com. Worked great for me for years, does the job
very well, free, and nowhere near as intrusive and annoying as Norton or
Symantec.

zag

I've used Norton (Symantec) for several years, and have
had very good results... but I still don't like Symantec
as a company.
The last issue of PC Magazine had a very good review of
several utility catagories, including AV. There was a
little good, and a little bad, to say about them all.
You might want to check it out.
z ------------------------------------------------------

David H. Lipman

Norton IS Symantec !

Dave

| AVG Antivirus, from Grisoft.com. Worked great for me for years, does the job
| very well, free, and nowhere near as intrusive and annoying as Norton or
| Symantec.
|

| | > Regarding standalone PCs running XP Home/Pro/Tablet + RC2 soon to be SP2
| > RTM.
| >
| > I wont do Symantec....well maybe if they pay me alot.
| >
| > Trend and PC-cillin looked good but now they've withdrawn simple PC-cillin
| > and have the "suite" with all the extra junk and it costs more.
| >
| > What's the best AV(no FW, no stoppers, no spamfilter) in this environment
| > from a stable and reliable and quick to release new def file company???
| >

| ---

root

I've seen several post complaining about all sorts of problems with Grisoft
AVG(free). Are those just FUD and it work well in XP or should I be wary?

What about:
Panda Titanium Antivirus 2004

David H. Lipman

It works but the free version is limited. It also is SLOW to release new signature files
and many infectors seem to slip past this software BUT...its better than no AV software as
long as you keep it updated.

AVAST - http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1016.html - FREE
CA eTrust - http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year (Free offer
expires 2/1/05).

A couple more freebies.

Dave

| I've seen several post complaining about all sorts of problems with Grisoft
| AVG(free). Are those just FUD and it work well in XP or should I be wary?
|
| What about:
| Panda Titanium Antivirus 2004
|
| | > Regarding standalone PCs running XP Home/Pro/Tablet + RC2 soon to be SP2
| > RTM.
| >
| > I wont do Symantec....well maybe if they pay me alot.
| >
| > Trend and PC-cillin looked good but now they've withdrawn simple PC-cillin
| > and have the "suite" with all the extra junk and it costs more.
| >
| > What's the best AV(no FW, no stoppers, no spamfilter) in this environment
| > from a stable and reliable and quick to release new def file company???

t.cruise

I agree. The FREE version of AVG Antivirus is less system intrusive than Symantec's
Norton. And, yes, there are frequent virus definition updates, easily done by right
clicking the icon in the Notification Area (System Tray), left clicking Run AVG Control
Center, clicking the Update Manager tab, then clicking the Update Now button. Or you can
schedule automatic updates. FREE doesn't always mean inferior. I, and all of my clients
use the FREE version of AVG, and the FREE version of Zone Alarm firewall. Both have
functioned well beyond my expectations.

BTW, I'm still manually deleting the orphan Registry Keys/Strings that Norton Antivirus
left on my system after uninstalling properly, even after also using the cleanup tool at
the Symantec site. I've searched 1/3 through the Registry, and have manually deleted
Symantec/Norton Keys/Strings numbering in the double digits. Norton has become a bloated
GUI intensive system hog, with each new version adding features that aren't really
necessary. Do you really need email scanning when Norton Auto-Protect is already running
in the background, supposedly protecting your entire system? Plus Norton scans drives
slower than other AV software that I've checked out. The FREE version of AVG Antivirus
version 6 does the job, without hogging system resources. These days it's unwise to only
depend on an Antivirus Program, a Firewall is needed too. I've had clients whose systems
have been infected within seconds of their first internet connect. Although Windows XP
has a native firewall option, it only works in one direction. I'd rather have a firewall
that works in both directions. I don't want anything from my systems being sent out
without my knowledge. As I wrote, the FREE version of the Zone Alarm firewall works for
me.

You can download the FREE version of AVG version 6 at:

http://www.grisoft.com

You can download the FREE standard version of Zone Alarm at:

http://tinyurl.com/3jg46

Click on: Download FREE Zone Alarm (Firewall Protection). Make sure that you click the
correct links at the sites to download the FREE versions, and NOT the TRIAL version
downloads. When installing the free version of Zone alarm a box will come up comparing
the features of Zone Alarm Pro vs. the FREE version of Zone Alarm. Opt for the free
version of Zone Alarm, otherwise the TRIAL version of Zone Alarm Pro will install.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

Plato

root

version 6 does the job, without hogging system resources. These days it's unwise to only
depend on an Antivirus Program, a Firewall is needed too.

Exactly, the FW included in SP2. Now I'm lookin for the right AV to go
along with SP2 FW and an AV package that doesn't include a bunch of other
stuff and doesn't cost too much.

David H. Lipman

Yes it is true.

When you read as many posts as I have of users of AVG who state they are up-to-date but are
still infected you will know as well.

As for the two updates you got Today. They probably were for the latest variations of
MyDoom. McAfee put out signatures Yesterday for them. So those two updates were put out
24hrs AFTER the major players put out signatures.

Dave

| No it's not there were TWO updates today alone! Usually every couple of
| days.
|
| Testy
|
| | > It works but the free version is limited. It also is SLOW to release new
| signature files
| > and many infectors seem to slip past this software BUT...its better than
| no AV software as
| > long as you keep it updated.
| >
| > AVAST - http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1016.html - FREE
| > CA eTrust - http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one
| year (Free offer
| > expires 2/1/05).
| >
| > A couple more freebies.
| >
| > Dave

| Grisoft
| > | AVG(free). Are those just FUD and it work well in XP or should I be
| wary?
| > |
| > | What about:
| > | Panda Titanium Antivirus 2004
| > |
| SP2

| PC-cillin

| environment
| company???

| > |
| > |

| ---

Pam

T: Do you know what the total file size is for AVG and Zone
Alarm? I've searched both sites for this answer and can't
find it. I'm trying to update a friends computer with these
two programs, but she has a very small hard drive, and not
much memory. Unfortunately I don't have the totals on her
resources, but if you could let me know I would "greatly"
appreciate it. I'm quite sure none of the paid antiviral
programs would fit, plus she won't pay for it, and I'm trying
to secure her computer with the least intrusive programs.
Unfortunately, I'm dealing with a senior that doesn't
understand the necessity of antiviral, firewall, and windows
critical updates, so I'll be quite surprised if she doesn't
have quite a few problems already.

Thanks in advance for any help, sorry for top posting.

Pam

wrote in message
| | > AVG Antivirus, from Grisoft.com. Worked great for me for
years, does the job
| > very well, free, and nowhere near as intrusive and
annoying as Norton or
| > Symantec.

RC2 soon to be SP2
| > > RTM.
| > >
| > > I wont do Symantec....well maybe if they pay me alot.
| > >
| > > Trend and PC-cillin looked good but now they've
withdrawn simple PC-cillin
| > > and have the "suite" with all the extra junk and it
costs more.

| > > What's the best AV(no FW, no stoppers, no spamfilter) in
this environment
| > > from a stable and reliable and quick to release new def
file company???

| > ---
7/22/2004

| ---
7/27/2004

t.cruise

The sizes of the download files alone are:

AVG approx 7.1 MB
Zone Alarm approx 5.7 MB

Of course the installed programs will probably take up more than double that in drive
space. You can delete the downloaded files once the programs are installed. You might
want to gain some drive space by deleting multimedia files that aren't being used, .wav,
..avi, wma, wmv, mpg, mpeg, and image files that aren't being used, the Windows XP tour,
removing programs that aren't used, removing Windows Components that aren't being used
(Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs/Click Add or Remove Windows Components button on the
left) the Internet games alone are over 8 MB.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

wrote in message
| | > AVG Antivirus, from Grisoft.com. Worked great for me for
years, does the job
| > very well, free, and nowhere near as intrusive and
annoying as Norton or
| > Symantec.

RC2 soon to be SP2
| > > RTM.
| > >
| > > I wont do Symantec....well maybe if they pay me alot.
| > >
| > > Trend and PC-cillin looked good but now they've
withdrawn simple PC-cillin
| > > and have the "suite" with all the extra junk and it
costs more.

| > > What's the best AV(no FW, no stoppers, no spamfilter) in
this environment
| > > from a stable and reliable and quick to release new def
file company???

| > ---
7/22/2004

| ---
7/27/2004

Robert Moir

root said:
I've seen several post complaining about all sorts of problems with
Grisoft AVG(free). Are those just FUD and it work well in XP or
should I be wary?

It is perfectly good considering the price you paid for it, but there are
better products out there.

There are a lot of cases where "best antivirus" can come down to personal
choice... which makes sense if you consider that a scanner that can stop
every virus in the world but is too complex for you to install and use is
less help than something that only stops 99% of the viruses in the world but
is very easy to use.

My personal choice is F-Secure at the moment, and I've also been happy with
NOD32 in the past.